News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The New Royal Canadian Air Force Badge

On March 13, 2013, the Governor General of Canada, His Excellency the Right Honourable David Johnston, approved a new badge for the Royal Canadian Air Force. The badge was unveiled in Ottawa on September 15, 2013, following the national ceremony marking the 73rd anniversary of the Battle of Britain.

This change to RCAF insignia came about in the wake of the restoration of the traditional name for Canada’s air force – Royal Canadian Air Force – which occurred on August 16, 2011. The restoration was a return to the name that had been approved for the air force in 1923 by His Majesty King George V and that came into effect on April 1, 1924.

The Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and Royal Canadian Air Force merged into a single service known as the Canadian Armed Forces on February 1, 1968, when the Unification Act came into effect.

In reality, the air force disappeared completely as a separate command entity, as air assets were distributed among other commands. However, in 1975, Air Command was formed and its commander became responsible for all air assets within the Canadian Armed Forces.

The new Royal Canadian Air Force badge hearkens back to the pre-unification RCAF badge. It shows a golden eagle volant – or flying with outstretched wings – on an azure (sky blue) background. The badge combines pride in the past with contemporary spirit; the eagle flying solo reflects the confident, experienced, resilient, agile and integrated RCAF.

This new badge replaces the Air Command badge, which showed an eagle rising from a Canadian astral crown.

The Royal Canadian Air Force retains the Air Command motto Sic Itur Ad Astra – “such is the pathway to the stars”. This motto was first granted to the Canadian Air Force when it was formed in 1920. Sic Itur Ad Astra was replaced by Per Ardua Ad Astra, the motto of the Royal Air Force, when the Royal Canadian Air Force came into being in 1924. Thus, Sic Itur Ad Astra continues to recall the very earliest days of the establishment of a national air force.

Hello,

The Canadian fliers of WWII tended to jokingly called the eagle a "goony bird" which is the other name for an albatross because they felt awkward on the ground, take off was a bitch, but once in the air she ( the aircraft ) became a thing of beauty. Sadly this albatross joke made its way into urban legend slang. I have read this incorrect description in several publications that should have know better.

Regards

Brian

Being ex 2 RCR (the Bn that holds the dubious honor of the yellow chicken), I believe I hold the right to poke fun at the other branches ;) .....back in '73 while awaiting my release I worked in the RCR Officers Mess with the cook that "allegedly" served the roast chicken.......

In all seriousness, all branches serve with distinction and honor.

Congrats to the RCAF

Larry

Yes, if you want a good laugh, check YouTube for video of Goony birds landing. They don't, they crash! And usually do 2 or 3 forward rolls in the process. Quite humorous, unless you're an albatross.

Larry

Haven't heard the roast chicken story. Please do share!

Yes, congrats to the RCAF. Some of my best friends are pilots. They're the guys with the big watches and... [Never mind! Ed.]. :cheeky:

Killer whales kill things. Pilot whales wear sunglasses. Sperm whales... Stay out of the water! :speechless1:

Edited by peter monahan