News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Another fake TWM - Josef Preissler Pforzheim

demir

No, that badge is probably good.

I have been at shows in Germany where there were bags of spare parts for sale. Preissler could have gone bust in 1955 with 10 000 pins still in its warehouse for all we know.

If Preissler DID make TWM back then.... why are they unknown? Why is just one or two on the market?

attachicon.gifN010566full.jpg

A German badge made by the same company with the same letters, actually exact same pinback.. So this must be a fake badge as well..

No, as Chris said it is probably good, but who ever he was he got the pin similar to that badge and attached it to the medal.

and again as Chris says: If Preissler DID make TWM back then.... why are they unknown? Why is just one or two on the market?

No, as Chris said it is probably good, but who ever he was he got the pin similar to that badge and attached it to the medal.

and again as Chris says: If Preissler DID make TWM back then.... why are they unknown? Why is just one or two on the market?

I think the company made handful of this Medals,but probably didn't meet the quality standards and they just discontinue making them.

I did find another piece sold on German eBay in the past,but unfortunately the seller did not post the reverse picture of the medal on his listing.

He described the medal as;

Imperial German World War I 1st Class Turkish Gallipoli Badge

The dimensions are 2 1 /4 inches wide by 2 1/4 inches tall
    Has a maker mark on re verse marked "Preissler Pforzheim" Has a thin horizontal pin back This is a five pointed star with red painted high-lights Nickel construction
    Very good plus condition

Edited by ottomanmedal

I bet if we say they are good we would see more of them pop up.

I believe these are older fakes. Perhaps even post WW2 replacement pieces. The quality is just not there for a German made piece from the interwar years.

Pin set ups were made in huge batches. Companies are still using leftover stock in some cases. We discussed this before over on WAF. Heck, after the war several dealers went around to wartime manufacturers and bought up existing stocks.

I for one will not talk myself into believing it is a good one. Just because it is the only one you've seen doesn't make it good.

I bet if we say they are good we would see more of them pop up.

I believe these are older fakes. Perhaps even post WW2 replacement pieces. The quality is just not there for a German made piece from the interwar years.

Pin set ups were made in huge batches. Companies are still using leftover stock in some cases. We discussed this before over on WAF. Heck, after the war several dealers went around to wartime manufacturers and bought up existing stocks.

I for one will not talk myself into believing it is a good one. Just because it is the only one you've seen doesn't make it good.

• 6 years later...

There is a TWM marked 'PREISSLER PFORZHEIM' up for sale at Bene Merenti's next auction. The enamel is superior quality to what has been shown in this thread so far, the pin looks the same though.

Could Preissler be a distributor? Or this one a fake/reproduction?

• 3 weeks later...

I had a closer look at the piece at Bene Merenti's when I was there for an auction preview this week, and I am absolutely sure the mentioned piece is one of the recently made fakes that are flooding German ebay in uncountable variations. The enamel, I have to disagree here, is not superior in my eyes, and the patina doesn't look naturally grown but artificially applied. Feel free to compare to this one. From what I understand, this piece will probably be withdrawn from the auction...

:whistle: