News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Information Sought - 1887 Jubilee medal

I have been offered a 1887 Met Police Jubilee medal to PC E. Nursey "A" Division. The vendor has a note with the medal which states " Involved in Jill the Ripper Murders" Which I take to mean he was involved in the investigation re the Murderer Mary Pearcey. I would be grateful for any information on PC Nursey.

Many Thanks

Peter

Peter

Edward Nursey - warrant number 67553 - joined the Met on the 11th March 1883 and died while serving as a sergeant on R Division (Greenwich). No service record for him I'm afraid, so no date of birth etc - only shown in register of joiners & leavers. He appears to have got the 1887 Jubilee medal while serving on A Division as a PC, 1897 Jubilee while on P Division as PS & 1902 coronation medal on R Division as PS.

The Old Bailey on line show's an Edward Nursey sergeant S Div as a witness to the 1890 trial of Robert Shirley for theft/burglary, 1890 trial of Mary Eleanor Pearcey for murder, 1891 trial of James Gorman, Albert Gorman & Richard Price for theft/extortion.

Edward Nursey Detective X Div gave evidence in the 1893 trial of Walter Hosler for murder.

Edward Nursey sergeant R Div gave evidence in the 1900 trial of Elizabeth Carter for bigam

------------

Pity the medals have been split up !!

Alex

• 1 year later...