News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Horizon Blue general calot

ccj

Here's a nice horizon blue "bonnet de police" or "calot" for a general de brigade.

These are fairly rare and I'd love to see other Collector's general's headgear.

I love French uniforms and enjoy collecting generals items.

Hi Chris, he was a two star, back during this perio there were 2 and 3 start generals in France. The generals de brigade, 2 stars, and generals de division, 3 stars, were the lonely two ranks. A general commanding a higher level army formation wore a braided cord on the kepi and under the 3 stars on the cuff. After the war more stars were added to indicate the higher grade generals.

• 2 years later...
    • 2 months later...

I'd love to have his photo and bio. It looks like 2.99€ for this is I'm correct. My French is not good 

I have a tunic named to a general I will research if listed in this website.

i can't really make out the name but will try if the changes are high. I know we wore a LdH commander with this tunic due to the ribbon sewn into the neck.

image.thumb.jpeg.7c4a8fe7d30467a02dbab0bimage.thumb.jpeg.33f090f349c9132383a112a

I need to learn French. German and French military history, especially ww1, are my favorite countries to study.

I shall pay the 2.99 and see what happens.  The 6 months is a good value if I can download the image of the men I research along with their bio

Edited by ccj

Hello,

Some informations about Gustave-Jean-Marie-Alfred DE CORNULIER-LUCINIERE,

Born 8 november 1855 in Nantes, deceased 14 february 1929 in Nantes,. He is a cavalry général.

Brigadier on 31 décember 1910, he was in charge of the 5th lignt cavalry brigade at the beginning of WWI. Then he commanded the 89th territorial infantry division (april 1915) and the 4th cavalry division (july 1915). He retired on 8 november 1917.

He was grand-officier de la Légion d’honneur and received three citations on his Croix de guerre 1914-1918.

Best regards.

image.jpeg.cba8df72d7f39bef66b410cacf979

courtesy of http://www.ecole-superieure-de-guerre.fr/

Georges-Émile Magnan

Born August 10, 1860 in La Rochelle (Charente-Inférieure).

Enlisted on 20 October 1879, he entered the École Spéciale militaire October 31 (promotion of flags).

It comes out October 1, 1881, with the second lieutenant and class braid 16th on 319 students.

Assigned to the 123rd infantry regiment, he was promoted lieutenant on December 29, 1885 and following the regional school of the Richard camp shooting, ranking 11th on 72 at the exit.

October 1, 1887, he moved to the 162nd infantry regiment where he served as Adjutant.

Admitted to the competition, it follows the courses of the superior school of war from November 1, 1890. He was released on October 31, 1892 with the patent of staff and good.

On November 19, 1892, he was seconded to the 18th corps to accomplish its training of staff, employment in which it is maintained despite his promotion to the rank of captain on 29 December 1892 and its classification to the 110th infantry regiment on July 9, 1893.

On January 8, 1895, his training completed, he was posted to the staff of the 17th infantry division.

Sent to Tunisia from April 2, 1896, to July 6, 1898, he first served to the staff of the military of Gabes then command from May 7, 1896, with the commanding general of the division of occupation of Tunisia as an officer of order.

Returning to France, he joined the 88th infantry regiment where he commanded a company.

June 9, 1900, he obtained evidence of satisfaction of the Minister of war for a work of historical research in administrative archival repositories."

He was promoted battalion commander and appointed major of the 25th infantry regiment in Cherbourg on May 23, 1902.

October 1, 1902, he received the command of a battalion.

He was made chevalier of the Legion of honour on April 11, 1903.

Promoted Lieutenant-Colonel on 23 March 1910, he was posted to the 137th infantry regiment at Fontenay as Commander second.

On August 2, 1914, to general mobilization, he received command of the 337th infantry regiment.

Wounded on September 6 between standard and the Fere-champenoise, it continues to command his regiment.

Shortly after, he moved to the command of the 137th infantry regiment replacing colonel killed Marolles on 27 August at the battle of Chaumont - Saint-Quentin.

He was promoted colonel on a temporary basis on 12 September.

On 30 September he received the order to attack the Boisselle, wounded early in the action, he was replaced by Lieutenant-Colonel good and evacuated.

He was appointed colonel definitively on November 1, 1914 and appointed to the command of the 118th infantry regiment he takes on 13 November, at Auchonvillers, in replacement of the Barbezier Commander that there had been acting.

In this sector, he took part in the various attacks of the Bisen.

On February 26, 1915, he was replaced by colonel Barthélémy and past head of the 64th infantry brigade.

He was made an officer of the Légion d'honneur and the order of the army.

Citation on 10 April 1915, for the following reason: "Distinguished himself by his bravery and energy in command of his regiment."

Promoted to general of brigade on 25 March 1916, he spent the next day in command of the 153rd infantry at rest to Bar-le-Duc.

10-April 24, 1916, he took part in the battle of Verdun, between the Esnes to Malancourt road and the southeastern Horn of Avocourt lumber.

After a rest period, he hired three times in the battle of the Somme, to July 9, to Hardecourt - aux - Bois, from 7 to August 21 to Maurepas, from 13 to 28 November, between the South of Sailly-Sallisel, and northeast of Rancourt.

On December 19, 1916, he was put at the head of the 168th infantry formed in the West Bayon region, then the statement at Saffais camp. as commander, it occupies the areas between Eastern Nomeny and Mousson from January 19 to February 1, 1917, Malval farm and southerly Courtecon from April 21 to May 17, 1917, on the Seille, between Nomeny and strand from July 11 to October 22, 1917, on the Meuse between Samogneux East and West of Forges from January 1, 1918.

Placed in the reserve section of January 10, 1918, is made Commander of the Légion d'honneur and the order of the army 

Citation January 12: "an Excellent leader and magnificent soldier a high awareness and a beautiful character.

Has always imposed on the profound esteem of those who saw it has work.

Ordered A honours its division in many operations where it was committed (war cross). »

It is immediately recalled the activity order subdivisions of le Puy and Saint-Etienne.

Demobilized on July 16, 1919, it is relocated to that date in the reserve section.

September 17, 1924, having commanded a division at the fire, he was promoted to the rank of general of division in the reserve section of retroactive to December 29, 1923.

Major general Magnan died on September 28, 1934 in La Jarrie (Charente-Inférieure).

He was commander of the Legion of honor, war cross 1914-1918 (2 fins), commemorative Medal of the great war, Allied Victory Medal, officer of the order of the Nicham Iftikar (Tunisia), 5th class of the order of the Sun (Japan).

1 hour ago, francoismln said:

Hello,

Some informations about Gustave-Jean-Marie-Alfred DE CORNULIER-LUCINIERE,

Born 8 november 1855 in Nantes, deceased 14 february 1929 in Nantes,. He is a cavalry général.

Brigadier on 31 décember 1910, he was in charge of the 5th lignt cavalry brigade at the beginning of WWI. Then he commanded the 89th territorial infantry division (april 1915) and the 4th cavalry division (july 1915). He retired on 8 november 1917.

He was grand-officier de la Légion d’honneur and received three citations on his Croix de guerre 1914-1918.

Best regards.

Gustave-Jean-Marie-Alfred DE CORNULIER-LUCINIERE, doesn't show a bio available to download. It this correct?

I strongly suspect that the third line of Magnan's biography should read 'promoted to Ensign' rather than 'promotion of flags'.  Ensign was, of course, the lowest rank of officer in the British Army in te nineteenth century and I suspect that the translator - person or computer - has taken the French equivalent and the second meaning of the English word - 'a flag' - and transposed them.

• 3 years later...

This is the only thread I found were Malval farm is mentioned. Anyone know anything else about the fighting that took place there in May 1917? Thanks. Alex