News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Studio photo of a squared away Machine Gunner troop, proudly displaying his MGSS badge, along with his new P-08 holster with probably has a brand new luger inside. His haube cover displays MG stamped which I haven't seen all that much. I would say he was assigned to an Ersatz MG unit with no specific regt affiliation. I can't see under mag glass his unit or his belt buckle inscription. Any idea Chris?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-16240-0-28387800-1380122641.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-16240-0-54114900-1380122687.jpg

Great info guys...thanks!!! I had the thought he might have just graduated from the MGSS school and returned to his unit and had this photo taken. With a brand new P-08 holster sorta draws me in that direction.

Was it not 1915 that the MGSS school was set up?

Edited by E Williams

But it´s a simple soldier. I don´t think, he travelled far away. The 16th regiment came from Passau (315km) and Landshut (195km)

If he's from the 12th as you believe, the 12th was part of the 2nd Bavarian Div and considered one of Germany's top shock divisions.

Hi,

Plenty of things can happen to make life unusual ;-)

Wounded and sent back to a hospital in germany and landing up there... going to a cousins wedding on leave... some type of Lehrgang... stopping in there in the way from East to West front... there are so many anomolies in life that we cannot even think of....

E Williams:

No, the MGSS were set-up at the beginning of 1916. The school was in Rozoy (set up ocotber 1916), it was called MGSS Kommando West. It later came to Tongern.

Here is the list of the bavarian MGSS:

bav. MGSS Abtl. 1 (former Nr.1 of Armee-Abtl. C) - from MGSS-Trupps 46, 187 and 188 - 1.october 1916 - 1st bav. Inf.Div.

bav. MGSS Abtl. 2 (former Nr.137 of 2.Armdee) - from MGSS -Trupps 137, 189 and 190 - 7.october 1916 - 2nd bav.Inf.Div.

bav. MGSS Abtl. 3 (former Nr.2 of Armee-Abtl. Strantz) - from MGSS-Trupps 42, 43, 193 - 24.november 1916 - 1st bav. Landwehr-Division

bav. MGSS Abtl. 4 (former MGSSAbtl. 1st bav.Ldw.Div. of Armme-Abtl. Strantz) - from MGSS Trupps 135, 136, 138 - ocotber 1916 - 1st bav. Ldw.Div.

Hi,

Plenty of things can happen to make life unusual ;-)

Wounded and sent back to a hospital in germany and landing up there... going to a cousins wedding on leave... some type of Lehrgang... stopping in there in the way from East to West front... there are so many anomolies in life that we cannot even think of....

Hi Chris! Of course, there are some possibilities. We can´t know... Which wine shows you a 16, please? I´d like to have a good wine too, but here it is 9pm and I will have toi get up at 4am... :(

Edited by The Prussian

E Williams:

No, the MGSS were set-up at the beginning of 1916. The school was in Rozoy (set up ocotber 1916), it was called MGSS Kommando West. It later came to Tongern.

Here is the list of the bavarian MGSS:

bav. MGSS Abtl. 1 (former Nr.1 of Armee-Abtl. C) - from MGSS-Trupps 46, 187 and 188 - 1.october 1916 - 1st bav. Inf.Div.

bav. MGSS Abtl. 2 (former Nr.137 of 2.Armdee) - from MGSS -Trupps 137, 189 and 190 - 7.october 1916 - 2nd bav.Inf.Div.

bav. MGSS Abtl. 3 (former Nr.2 of Armee-Abtl. Strantz) - from MGSS-Trupps 42, 43, 193 - 24.november 1916 - 1st bav. Landwehr-Division

bav. MGSS Abtl. 4 (former MGSSAbtl. 1st bav.Ldw.Div. of Armme-Abtl. Strantz) - from MGSS Trupps 135, 136, 138 - ocotber 1916 - 1st bav. Ldw.Div.

You know now what you have done, Andy??? I'm going to search and search and hold out for a Luger with anyone of the about unit marks on it!!!! :D