News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is a photo postcard. Their haube covers are marked '20'. The postcard was mailed in Karlsruhe and made in Karlsruhe but from my research material, the 20th was a Bradenburg unit, all of them. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Any translation of the card text would be great.

Thanks

Ed

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-16240-0-38018400-1380243821.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-16240-0-75322000-1380243890.jpg

The postcard was sent from Karlsruhe, but it was sent to his brother in Niederflockenberg in Westphalia. By 1916, IR 20, like many Prussian regiments from rural areas, had received numerous replacements from more populous areas like Westphalia and the Rhineland.

By the way, it appears that the photo was taken in front of the Grenadier-Kaserne in Karlsruhe, home of Baden's Leib-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 109. Here is a picture of that Kaserne from a few weeks ago:

The postcard was sent from Karlsruhe, but it was sent to his brother in Niederflockenberg in Westphalia. By 1916, IR 20, like many Prussian regiments from rural areas, had received numerous replacements from more populous areas like Westphalia and the Rhineland.

By the way, it appears that the photo was taken in front of the Grenadier-Kaserne in Karlsruhe, home of Baden's Leib-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 109. Here is a picture of that Kaserne from a few weeks ago:

attachicon.gifDSC09502.JPG

Interesting, thanks Dave. Those Kasernes haven't changed a bit I see. My group artillery Kaserne in Baben-Hausen was barracked in a WWI artillery Kaserne. It's very possible I've been in that Kaserne. I had an uncle stationed there and his german wife lived on in Karlsruhe after they divorced. She originally was from Neckerzimmern.

But, why would a Regt based from Bradenburg be barracked in Karlsruhre? Maybe I'm not reading your reply right?

Not knowing anything about uniforms, I agree DR 20 makes sense for Karlsruhe. Still, they are in front of LGR 109's Kaserne, not DR 20's, which was two blocks to the south. There used to be a park behind the DR 20 Kaserne, between the Hilda Promenade and Moltkestrasse. I suppose they assembled in the park for the photo.

Not knowing anything about uniforms, I agree DR 20 makes sense for Karlsruhe. Still, they are in front of LGR 109's Kaserne, not DR 20's, which was two blocks to the south. There used to be a park behind the DR 20 Kaserne, between the Hilda Promenade and Moltkestrasse. I suppose they assembled in the park for the photo.

Times like this is when I enjoyed taking a day and doing some Before and After Searching in Europe/Germany. I use to get a monthly magazine that the publishers did exactly that, find a photograph and then find the place where it was taken.

I have gone over with magnifying eyepiece lighted and I'm sure what is on every shoulder strap that can be seen is a black crown.

I have found a 'red crown' for the Lieb GR 109 in searches but I've found no black crown shoulder straps.....................

Edited by E Williams

DR 20's shoulder strap was red with a yellow crown. Yellow tends to look black in old B&W photos.

See here for more: http://www.kaisersbunker.com/gtp/straps.htm

Senior moment..............I still sometimes forget that my brain is thinking color while my eyes are seeing B&W.

I think that pretty much has arrived at the conclusion. Dragoon Regt 20. Thanks to all.................