News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

What do I have here? Bulgarian and Imperial Russian. Thoughts?

NavyFCO

All:

Just picked up this beautiful little bar today at a show, partially because I was very curious about it. The first three awards are Bulgarian, I believe, then the last one, Imperial Russian. I've owned one other of the latter medals and it had been awarded to a UK Royal Navy sailor...but that was a few years back and I got lucky. Anyone have any thoughts about this bar, and furthermore, would it have belonged to an officer? Enlisted? And what are the medals?

Thanks!

Dave

Dave, this is silver medal for zeal on St.Stanislas ribbon issued during reign of N-II.

Usually these medals were awarded to lower ranks.

Typical formulating will sound like this "для награждения нижних чинов за усиленную службу во время войны".

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Judging by the first and third awards in the bar - 4th class of military cross "For bravery" (issued before 1915) and 10 Years Distinguished Service Cross (somebody turn it over) we are talking about NCO (if this medal bar is authentic ...) 10 Years Distinguished Service Cross is in bronze - bronze for NCO/silver for officers.

Edited by JapanX

Second award in the bar is bronze commemorative medal that was issued in 1928 in commemoration of these three events

10th Anniversary Of The Reign Of Boris III

50th Anniversary Of Liberation From The Ottoman Empire

1000th Anniversary Of The Death Of Simeon I

It turned over (obverse - head of King Simeon I (Simeon the Great) and the head of King Boris III and the dates 893-927, 1918-1928, 1878-1928; the reverse with a crowned shield on a trophy of arms and the dates 893 896 904 913 926 at the top, 1879 1885 1908 1912/13 at the bottom and 927-1927, 1878-1928, 1918-1928 across the middle; on probably replaced ribbon. The dates on the face of the obverse are those of the reign of King Simeon I (893-927), of the Boris III who ascended the throne in 1918 and of Bulgaria becoming an independent principality following the Congress of Berlin. The dates on the reverse are for the significant wars of each era)

Edited by JapanX

Hi Dave,

to tell you the truth Bulgaria is not really my cup ot tea either ...

Prices for individual awards can be easily goggled.

As for the price for this group - the real question will be is this group authentic?

You see during WWI Bulgaria fought against Antanta...

The order of awards is strange too (why unofficial or semi-official medal "1000th years...") is placed before distinguished service cross and hanging on distinguished service cross ribbon?!

Not to mentioned that these two awards are turned over.

Very strange ...

Cheers,

Nick

Is there card or fibreboard under the ribbons? If so, in [sloppy] sewing/mounting style at least, have seen a couple of similar groups at the Sofia flea market. These others usually had a long pin and catch attached to the backing material through the ribbons. Hard to say if original veteran assembly or put-together; style certainly not proper for active service wear.

Ribbon wear overall seems inconsistent, 1,000 anniversary medal usually on a red/white/green national color ribbon & not properly worn with national medals but who knows?

Ribbon wear overall seems inconsistent, 1,000 anniversary medal usually on a red/white/green national color ribbon & not properly worn with national medals but who knows?

Yep.

Another variants that I saw: red and white, light blue and turquoise ...

Is there card or fibreboard under the ribbons? If so, in [sloppy] sewing/mounting style at least, have seen a couple of similar groups at the Sofia flea market. These others usually had a long pin and catch attached to the backing material through the ribbons.

100% agree.

Typical bulgarian medals bars have this back ;)

Thank you for showing these groups Nick!

Besides the hooks [likely salvaged from ribbon attachments shown in post 12] that slip into loops sewn on tunics Austrian style, have seen a couple of groups made up like #12 lower image with black metal 'male snap-pins' attachments. Three or four male 'snap-pins' [about 7 mm in diameter with the male side sewn to the bar back] served to fasten a 3 to 5 medal group to clothing.

Suspect these were home-made for civil dress or fairly static display as the female 'snap-pin' would perhaps compromise a uniform's appearance? The 'snap-pin' approach appears a much less secure attachment method in any case.