News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Artillery World War I

Most of Belgium's artillery was captured when the German Army swept through in August 1914 and later Albert's forces were equipped with French weapons. However, there were a couple "distinct" Belgian artillery pieces...

This photo shows the Belgian 75mm Model 1905 Field Gun on the march. This gun was designed by Krupp and the first pieces came complete from Germany. Later they came in components and assembled in Belgium. For these later pieces, Belgium even produced the gun barrel itself.

Also shows Belgian artillery uniforms of the pre-war period.

The uniform of the Belgian Artillerie de fortresse. Of course, the Belgian forts like Liege and Namur were obliterated by German heavy artillery during the sweep through Belgium; so, a lot of these guys were either captured or killed.

This particular card was sent in March 1915 by a Bavarian soldier back ... Any ideas on his specific unit in the 6. Armee? This is a tough abbreviation for me...

• 3 months later...

This photo was taken in 1903, before the Belgians received the 1905 75mm Krupp field guns in Post #1. The Belgians were known for using a lot of out-dated guns in 1914, many spread among the fortresses. These are Krupp Canon 87mm M1866; likely training pieces in 1903, but possibly employed in 1914 as well.