News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Since Fußartillerie units cause the most frustration when researching German Imperial artillery units, both in identifying uniforms and in trying to locate units in the field, I thought I'd start a separate thread for from "Gunners in Uniform" for the uniforms of the Fußartillerie. Maybe it will be helpful for others...

I'll start with an easy one that shows the evolution of the uniform of the Fußartillerie-Regiment von Linger (Ostpreußisches) Nr.1

Kgl. Sächs. 1. Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr.12

This photo shows very well the white edged feldgrau straps...would match the fact that on the first feldgrau uniforms the Fußartillerie shoulder straps were field gray with white piping and red unit numbers

Edited by IrishGunner

Here's a mixed bag from the Kgl. Sächs. 2. Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr.19. Some dunkelblau, a couple different feldgrau tunics, some drillich uniforms. Numbered helmet covers. A couple different Schirmmütze (especially the one on the guy "playing" the wash basin). Nice shots of the shortened version of the Gewehr 98.

I don't think it was picked up in the original thread but note the size of the rank button; it is a Sergeants' button. This guy was an Obergefreiter, a rank at that time unique to the Fußartillerie. These chaps although belonging to the rank class of Mannschaften, wore the Sergeants' button and the NCOs' bayonet knot.

Regards

Glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting Unteroffizier with his new EK2. He has "49" on his shoulder straps, but the card has the stempel of Pruessisches Landwehr-Fußartillerie-Bataillon Nr. 3 + Garde Reserve Div. Notice the French kepi on the edge of the well.

Bavarian Fuss-Artillerie with a 21cm Morser. I say they are Bavarians because two of them appear to be wearing a MVK ribbon; the kanonier on the front left has his MVK ribbon over a EK2 ribbon; the NCO second from right has only a MVK ribbon.

• 1 year later...

I originally posted this photo in the Feld-Artillerie thread. When I bought this post card almost 4 years ago, I logged it into my collection as "FAR 10" - Feld-Artillerie Regiment Nr. 10 - since that is what is painted on one of the signs in the photo. I even put it on my new website as "FAR 10". However, as I was writing a caption for the photo referencing the great image of the Dunkelblau Waffenrock, I noticed they all have Brandenburg cuffs (three vertical buttons). Feld-Artillerie have Swedish cuffs (two horizontal buttons). And then I noted that the post card was printed in Strassburg i.E. - the garrison of Fuss-Artillerie Regiment Nr. 10.

So, here we have "A traditional souvenir photo post card of the soldiers of 6th Gun Section (6. Gesch.), 2nd Battery (2. Batt.), Fuss-Artillerie Regiment Nr. 10; taken at the end of their compulsory military service. An excellent image of the pre-WWI "Dunkelblau Waffenrock" with the usual Brandenburg cuffs of the Fuss-Artillerie. Printed on the reverse of the post card is Straßburg i.E., the garrison of FuAR 10. (Even though "FAR" is the usual abbrev. for Feld-Artillerie, in this photo it is used for a Fuss-Artillerie Regiment.)"

Sometimes you can't trust the photographer studio to give you the correct information. You really need to know your uniforms to identify units. And it you always need to remember, this is a constant learning process - even when you think you got it down pat.

Edited by IrishGunner

Rick,

Spot on and that is the point of the post. Until 20 March 1890 only the Reitende-Abteilungen of the Field Artillery wore Swedish cuffs, the "foot" Abteilungen of the Field Artillery wore Brandenburg cuffs like their Foot Artillery counterparts.

Regards

Glenn

Rick,

Spot on and that is the point of the post. Until 20 March 1890 only the Reitende-Abteilungen of the Field Artillery wore Swedish cuffs, the "foot" Abteilungen of the Field Artillery wore Brandenburg cuffs like their Foot Artillery counterparts.

Regards

Glenn

Always something to learn. Nothing is ever as straight-forward as it first seems...

Thanks again for the details.

This period print illustrates the above point nicely. It shows a Kanonier of Fuß-Artillerie Regiment Nr. 3 in the uniform as introduced per Cabinet Order dated 18 July 1874 (white shoulder straps) alongside an Hornist and Kanonier of a Fahrende-Abteilung of Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 4

Regards

Glenn

All it takes is to pull one thread on a Brandenburg cuff and one begins to doubt all that was thought to be true...

The printing of the card in Strassburg should still point to FuAR 10. But at the beginning of the war, Fuss-Artillerie batteries had four guns. This photo references the "6. Gesch." - or 6th gun section. Feld-Artillerie batteries had six guns. Could this still be 10. FAR with recruits wearing pre-1890 tunics?

But why Strassburg? FAR 10 was in Hannover. But FuAR 10 had a historical connection to Hannover - formed in 1871 as Festungs-Artillerie-Regiment Nr. 15 from Hannoverschen Festungsart. Abtl. Nr.10 and the Hessischen Nr.11. I can't find FAR 10 in Strassburg though...

I am now pouring back through my notes to find the date that Fuss-Artillerie "kompanie" became "batterie" (I think around 1890); found a note that has 1908 as the date, but I didn't write down the reference. I bet Glenn has an AKO though!

...and when if ever, Fuss-Artillerie batteries might have had six guns.

Unfortunately, this card has no dates...

Edited by IrishGunner

Rick,

Foot Artillery companies became batteries on 19 November 1908. However, 2. Batterie Fuß-Artillerie Regiment Nr. 10 was stationed in Hanover, the II. Abteilung with batteries 5 - 8 being in Straßburg. The photograph is clearly is post 1897 and probably around 1910-14. I think the most likely explanation is that the caption on the board is just plain wrong.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

Thanks for the exact date; I'll keep looking for the exact reference.

I can help you out a little here... Fuss-Artillerie had "Bataillon" instead of Abteilung (which was the term for battalion-level units of Feld-Artillerie). This might have changed around the same time companies changed to batteries.

I agree that we have some problems with the photograph studio board captions.

But what makes you say the I. Bataillon (which is where 2. Batterie would be) was in Hannover? I have I. Bataillon with XVI. AK in Metz. II. Bataillon in Strassburg.

Isn't Metz close to Strassburg? That would help explain 2. Battr. on the studio caption boards... But it doesn't explain 6. Gesch.

I'm pretty sure this is FuAR 10...and not FAR 10. But there are still some unanswered questions. Don't you just love researching Fuss-Artillerie!

Edited by IrishGunner

Rick,

you are correct, I misread the entry in the Rangliste in the dark! The entire Regiment was in Straßburg at this time. In fact I have the entire Regiment in Straßburg from 1873 to 1914.

Perhaps it is as simple as some dozy Kanonier transposing the 2 and the 6 on the board?

Regards
    Glenn

Rick,

postscript:

Fuss-Artillerie had "Bataillon" instead of Abteilung (which was the term for battalion-level units of Feld-Artillerie). This might have changed around the same time companies changed to batteries.

Indeed; introduced on the partition of the Field and Fortress Artillery per order 18 July 1872.

Regards

Glenn