News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Different types of Yugoslav Order of Bravery

• 4 months later...

Newest addition, Yugoslav 1st type IKOM with pretty low number 10848, 2nd lowest I've seen so far. I said before that I suspect they started from 10K.

Notice the soldering on the suspension ring (2nd photo).

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-7937-0-37198200-1395317819.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-7937-0-64632500-1395317827.jpg

Edited by paja

IKOM with lower number (10740) that got sold last year.
    Soldering on the suspension ring can be seen on this example as well...

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-7937-0-16445200-1395318555.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_03_2014/post-7937-0-53473300-1395318588.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sometimes you can read comments that examples with such a huge numbers are from storage because there were around 120.000 of them awarded. That's not the case with this one because it came with a document, it was awarded in 1953. But we also know that decorations unfortunately weren't issued according to their number.
    3.thumb.JPG.972832a48bcfb1692113120530db

Edited by paja

• 1 year later...

After doing some further research I came to a conclusion that the earliest Yugoslav Bravery Orders ("numbered IKOM type") were actually made by ZIN. On the other hand "ZIN numbered type" was most likely made by IKOM. Everything I wrote before in this topic is based on online sources, especially Sammler's base, and "forum knowledge" if I may use that term.

One day I noticed similarities between numbers stamped on the back side of what we thought is IKOM's Bravery order and early (low number) Order of Merits for the People made by ZIN. After that I compared all 10 figures and there's no doubt that they are absolutely the same. So either both factories used the same numbers (which didn't seem very likely to me) either that type of Bravery Order was actually made by ZIN. 

Looking for material to back up my claims I checked Rudež's book in which one can read the following:
    "The production of Orders and Medals for Bravery was organized in the second half of 1945 by ZIN Belgrade, and after that by IKOM Zagreb... Bravery Orders made in USSR and orders made by ZIN have serial numbers on reverse while orders made by IKOM don't have any markings on the back side."

Now here's the puzzle, same thing goes for the "ZIN numbered type" and IKOM made Partisan stars, numbers on their back sides are pretty much the same (bear in mind that there are two different types of numbers on Partisan stars).

I'll try to post comparisons and some more information tomorrow.

Order of Merits for the People 3rd class, first type, low numbers, wider screw nut with Cyrillic inscription "ЗАВОД ЗА ИЗРАДУ НОВЧАНИЦА". Third image is from ebay, fourth one is from Sammler's base.
    1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

Number 1 - Bravery: 10848,16882; Merits: 1932
    Number 2 - Bravery: 16882, 54927; Merits: 1932
    Number 3 - Bravery: 34854; Merits: 1932
    Number 4 - Bravery: 10848, 34854, 54927; Merits: 5454
    Number 5 - Bravery: 34854, 54927; Merits: 5454, 7657
    Number 6 - Bravery: 6882; Merits: 7657;
    Number 7 - Bravery: 54927; Merits: 7657;
    Number 8 - Bravery: 10848,16882, 34854; Merits 1814;
    Number 9 - Bravery: 54927; Merits: 1932
    100.jpg

Here's one more comparison I made a few seconds ago. 
    Partisan Star 3rd Class made by IKOM versus "Numbered ZIN" Bravery Order.
    This is one of the reasons why I think those Bravery Orders were actually made by IKOM!
    1000 copy.jpg

Edited by paja

I'd like to start from the beginning and go through all variations of the order with corrected information especially because most of the images I used before are no longer visible.
    I'm having troubles making a complete classification of the Yugoslav decorations because there are so many different variants of certain orders. Here's what I came up with when it comes to this particular decoration. In order to simplify things I divided them in two main types, Soviet and Yugoslav.

Type 1 (Soviet production)

01.jpg
    02.jpg

Edited by paja

So all in all 2 types and 5 variants of the Yugoslav type. There are some variations of the Yugoslav type which I didn't include in the list, perhaps later when I gather enough material. 

Type 1 (Soviet production)
    Type 2.1 (Yugoslav production, numbered ZIN)
    Type 2.2 (Yugoslav production, numbered IKOM)
    Type 2.3 (Yugoslav production, unnumbered ZIN)
    Type 2.4 (Yugoslav production, unnumbered IKOM)
    Type 2.5 (Yugoslav production, gilded unnumbered IKOM)

1000.JPG

Now back to that unnumbered ZIN.
    First row: Numbered IKOM
    Second row: 1 Unnumbered IKOM; 2 Gilded Unnumbered IKOM; 3 Unnumbered ZIN
    Third row: Numbered ZIN
    Some details are different, for example notice how orders made by IKOM (all three variants!) have very visible pattern in the lower part of the front side. Third order in the second row is obviously different and so are all of the ZIN made pieces from the third row.

102.jpg

Edited by paja

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately I don't think so. I've never tried to do something like that through the "official channels" but then again I've never heard that anyone succeeded. Also there were rumors that the archive of the Chancellery of Orders was destroyed.

• 3 months later...