• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of possibly unique ones:

Heinrich Ancker, who retired as a Vizeadmiral in 1942 and was then a Reichskommissar/Bundesbeauftragter in the Reichsverkehrsministerium/Bundesverkehrsministerium. Before World War I, he received the US Silver Lifesaving Medal as well as the Prussian Rettungsmedaille.

Ehrenfried Freiherr v. Hünefeld, He received the US Distinguished Flying Cross in 1928. He died in 1929, so I don't know if the US medal was mounted with his World War I decorations.

His story was in a german orders& medals magazine, I have to look it up next week for more details, but from my memory: He was from Silesia right a the polish / german border, served during WWII with a supply / transport unit got the Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse mit Schwertern and other awards. He became a POW in 1945 and was, because of his nearly polish background, recruited by the exile polish forces of the british army and served a few months with them, so he qualified for the British War Medal. If he had a 57er medal bar it would´ve looked really weird!! ;)

Well it was a pre-WW1 award, I bet the exact gazetting date could be traced.

In 1914, he was a career Hauptmann, Adjutant of 41. Infanterie-Brigade, holding a Royal Victorian Order, Knight.

24.11.1876 Born in Mannheim
27.4.1915 Zähringen with Oakleaves as Hauptmann in RIR 254
16.4.1918 Hohenzollern House Order with Swords as Hauptmann
1920 Major aD
1937-1943 Landesgebietsführer/Gaukriegerführer Rhein in the Reichskriegerbund
20.04.1937 SS-Obersturmbannführer,
03.09.1937 SS-Standartenführer
30.01.1938 SS-Oberführer
30.01.1943 Oberst z.V.
no death date

As Rick might have said: An award from the days of early globalisation, before 20th century madness set in...

I am intrigued as well Chris!

The most unusual decoration on a German bar in my own collection is something from Siam. ;)

Kind regards

Pierce

White elephant? That is a great one on a medal bar! I saw one before. Maybe it was yours? Nice. Can you post it?

One of the most interesting I saw several years ago was a China Warlord medal on a bar. It was an auction and I was the short bidder :banger:

:Cat-Scratch: @Chris...can you give us a hint?

White elephant? That is a great one on a medal bar! I saw one before. Maybe it was yours? Nice. Can you post it?

One of the most interesting I saw several years ago was a China Warlord medal on a bar. It was an auction and I was the short bidder :banger:

:Cat-Scratch: @Chris...can you give us a hint?

Certainly Claudius- here it is! Yes, it is the Order of the White Elephant, 5th Class. Also, the Belgium Order of Leopold II, 5th Class.

Is this the bar you saw before?

Kind regards

Pierce