News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British War Medal for World War I to a Belgian female agent

I do not have that much British medals, but here the one I fancy the most.

A British War medal WWI given to a Belgian female agent of my home town.

Here name was Celina Ludovica De grave. She lived in the same house at the St- janskaai 27 in Antwerp, with here sister.

Here sister was also a agent who recieved the same medal and the order of the British Empire, also honoured in the London Gazette.

Both were members of groupe m/14 Van Houcke.

degrave007.jpg

degrave011.jpg

Stuka - medals awarded to pro-British agents are not that uncommon - usually the problem is actually finding

out about them. I suggest you research this as thoroughly as possible - there must be many records in the Town

archives. They can only add to the value - and the interest. A photograph would certainly go well. Mervyn

Hello Mervyn, i agree that medals to pro- British agents aren't that uncommoun from a "world citizen" perspectif!

But,they are rather uncommoun in Antwerp, especialy when the recipient was a "Antwerp citizen" , that is a different point of vue and it gives it a other perspective! To some, that is!

Please don't feel offended by that remark, it was facetiously ment! ;-)

And I do take your advice seriously regarding the research that still has to be done regarding the owner.

Town archives will indeed reveal more then what I got up to now, ..... found during a quick search, but I was planning to do thise in a few years when fully retired.

I got it from a house clearence, no history attached to it.And I was rather pleased with the info I had up to now.

But, I agree, there is a lot more to be found out, especially when you know that out of the same house a Prussian artillery officer helmet with his original cover was found in a closet.

The helmet beared his camo cover when it was found, so it wansn't in any way on display, and it had a folded (Dutch!)news paper, behind the sweat band with a spy related story. I did recently posted that spike helmet in thise very forum as well, but in a other section.

So I don't want to make thise sound like a Agatha Christie novel, but there could very well be a relation between the owner of the medal, because of what she did and the Pickelhaube(owner...!).

To be continued....in a few years that is.

cheers

|<ris

I do not have that much British medals, but here the one I fancy the most.

A British War medal WWI given to a Belgian female agent of my home town.

Hi Stuka,

I found one of these in Morocco some years ago....

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3245

According to the numbers, there were only about 3500 to agents, which makes a single Agent Medal about 30 times rarer than WW1 Military Medal group ... So great find!!!!

Best

Chris

In Morocco!!!???

I do have like a idea how that one got there......

I red the threat but didn't get to see the medal!?

I also got lots of people asking if I was selling it, even offers to do the research, but with fee's, when showing it on a local foruml!

But among all different objects that i collect, all Antwerp related items are the main theme to me.

cheers

|<ris

Kris - now that you have an approx. number of agent's medals from Chris - even more important to find out what you can.

I do agree with you, that a local medal is going to more interesting. Please let us know your progress ?

You mention you were approached by people offering to do research for money - did any of them come from GMIC ? Mervyn

Hey Mervyn,

that offer was done like a year or even more ago, by someone of a local forum, no one from GMIC!!

The medal is here to stay, as so many other items I need to research, so please do not expect much progress in a short while.

But one never nows, it often happens that during some searchs other mistery's get solved....

Thanks for your intrest.

cheers

|<ris

It is good to hear that no one from this forum had sent you a message offering, for a fee, to research this medal for you. What bad form for sure. I was somewhat shocked to read that this happened to you. I help out in research where I can and have never ever asked for anything in return. It is called Karma. I have helped and have received help in researching things many times over.

I am in the same position as many others here. I have more research projects than I have time. Now that my "fun time" is over and I am returning to the work force, (I took some time off at the end of my last contract) all of my research projects and other displays etc are on hold until I have more time. I am currently sitting on around 30 pairs that need either full or partial research, plus the organization and write ups. Not to mention my on going research with the Irish Regiment of Canada.

Again, I have to say this British War Medal should prove to have a very very interesting story behind it. Congratulations on this fine acquisition.

Thank you Pylon1357!

It is pitty full to see people reacting in such a way, and it does affect (not only!!) theyre karma!

Sorry to hear you you have to regain the work force, but a man a got to do what a man as to do!

cheers

|<ris

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I am new on this forum but I have already have read a great deal of posts on different items.

I am a collector of Belgian orders and medals with a special interest on the 1830-1832 period.

Reading this topic, I would be very interested to find a list of the Belgian awardees of the BWM.

There are two items in my collection, named to:

- A. LAVAUX

- V. CRAEYNEST

:beer:

Werner

hello Chris,

thank you for the information posted. i have to appoligize because I made a mistake. It is as Chris showed: T. CRAEYNEST.

I also did some smal research on the internet and I found at the site of the National Archive the following : http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D1986739

I will shortly post the pictures regarding T. CRAEYNEST. There also was an MBE military which would have belonged to the same person.

Perhaps I should order a copy of those cards at the N.A. hoping they bring some interesting information.

Werner :)

• 2 years later...

New in my collection,

a British War Medal and Merchant War Medal both named to " FRANK GOYSENS".

I have found at the NA his medal card but I have to order this in order to see what is written on it.

I was wundering if some one has a full list of the MWM awarded to Belgians.

Is it possible to find out the shipslist or ship he was on ?

56ed6e6545ac3_IMG_7635-kopie.JPG.a8f276c56ed6e67a8edb_IMG_7639-kopie.JPG.952db8c56ed6e6a23125_IMG_7642-kopie.JPG.717274e

greetings, Werner