Dear forumites,

I just wanted to show a couple of pictures of my visit of the "Burg Hohenzollern" in Hechingen (see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohenzollern_Castle and their official website http://www.burg-hohenzollern.com/startpage.html ).

It is highly recommendable for all military and history enthusiasts and students.

Enjoy the pictures...

ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

Now comes the interesting part, at least for me... ;) the Schatzkammer (or also the Treasure Hall or Crown all):

First of all, lots of highlights for Prussia's fans: the crown of Prussia (1.5 kg of Gold), the tobacco boxes, the original uniform and hat of "der alte Fritz" (Federick II, King of Prussia aka Frederick the Great) with the tobacco box which saved the king's live in the battle of Kunesdorf (although this fact it is quite debated by historians) ... Unfortunately I couldn't take many pictures, because it was forbidden, but I could manage to take some pictures of the amazing order collection, most of them were the original orders and medals of the first Emperor of the 2nd Reich, Wilhelm I "der Grosse".

The bad thing about the guided tour is that, when you arrive at the end of the tour in the treasure hall, you are allowed to stay there just 5-10 minutes time.

Edited by Claudio

Hi Vince, it isn't a miniature bar, but a full sized bar, but with some half sized decorations, like the crosses... you can compare the EK2 1813 and the next medal, which is a KDM (1813) for the Befreiungskriege (war of liberation).

C

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Hard to believe so much survived WWII. It's great to see Kaiser Wilhelm I distinctive medal bar that we see in all his photos. It's wonderful that it survives. Many thanks for taking the time to post.

Kind regards,

Sam K.

These are some amazing photos Claudio. Thank you for sharing them. There is so much to comment on, but I'll limit myself. In your first set, the photo of the castle is wonderful. What a view. It looks like it was a nice day.

You can only stay 5-10 minutes...that’s scandalous.

Everyone has commented on the medal bar and I scarcely have anything to add. It is really neat to see it this up close. What an amazing bar.

I was gawking at the PLMs and how they are displayed. They have them hanging from pins like Gymnasium Track and Field medals. :speechless1:

Your trip here looks like a great way to spend a day.

Thanks for all your comments and nice words.

Not to speak of all German and Foreign orders Wilhelm I had (almost only Grand Crosses, 1st class awards with sash and grand Cross) on display there... amazing. Plus lots of Iron Crosses of 1813 and 1870... and if I remember correctly also the PlM breast star... well... you got the picture... ;-)

There are so many cool fortresses (Burg) and castles (Schloss) in Germany. Next thread I will show another castle I almost found by coincidence browsing on internet... The castle of the counts of Württemberg... but that it will be another thread... :-)

ciao,

C

• 2 months later...

Now comes the interesting part, at least for me... ;) the Schatzkammer (or also the Treasure Hall or Crown all):

First of all, lots of highlights for Prussia's fans: the crown of Prussia (1.5 kg of Gold), the tobacco boxes, the original uniform and hat of "der alte Fritz" (Federick II, King of Prussia aka Frederick the Great) with the tobacco box which saved the king's live in the battle of Kunesdorf (although this fact it is quite debated by historians) ... Unfortunately I couldn't take many pictures, because it was forbidden, but I could manage to take some pictures of the amazing order collection, most of them were the original orders and medals of the first Emperor of the 2nd Reich, Wilhelm I "der Grosse".

The bad thing about the guided tour is that, when you arrive at the end of the tour in the treasure hall, you are allowed to stay there just 5-10 minutes time.

post-199-0-18682000-1381594440.jpg

Thanks Claudio for the images. Do you know what collar was that to the right in the image above? Do you have a photo? Thanks in advance.

Sorry Carol (your name? I think not), but pictures weren't allowed to be taken... that's why I managed just to shot a few photos before being obliged to stop by one of the museum's guides...

C

Thanks for the very quick reply. The question about the photo was a long shot, but I was hoping that you remember what it was, even though given the 5 minutes you had in the room this also seems like a shot in the dark.