News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Zulu Chief's Medal

In a post on a North American Indian Chief's Medal, Mervyn mentioned a similar medal issued in 1902 to Zulu chiefs in what was then the Colony of Natal. This medal was in silver and had a diameter of 51 mm. A medal with a diameter of 29 mm was presented to local dignitaries, while a 21 mm version was issued to schoolchildren. (Source: Medal Yearbook No. 305A)

Obverse images of the 51 mm and 29 mm medals are shown below, as well as a reverse image of the larger medal. The fine detail of these medals is somewhat obscured by the toning, but I have preferred to keep the medals this way.

Brett

Brett I am glad you have not cleaned the medal it looks absolutely stunning. I suspect however that it was a remainder or specimen, I find it hard to believe that it was an awarded piece given the perfect condition. Has any one seen an example of this sized medal that has definitely been worn.

Paul

Paul

I am sure that you are right! I have collected a few campaign medals dating from the Eastern Cape Frontier Wars (1877/78) to World War II that include issued and unissued examples and condition range from very poor (issued) to pristine (unissued).

I am pleased that you liked the toning on the Coronation medals. It is anathema to some collectors.

Regards

Brett