News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 56
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I won't add another tombak Schwerin or unmarked "Juncker" to this thread, but I'll add a couple that haven't been imaged so far.

First up, an earlier zinc Schwerin with heavily plated reverse.

Regards

Mike K

PS: George, that last one looks OK (nothing screams repro) but I don't know the maker - definitely not an unmarked Schwerin though.

Obverse....

It does not appear to be one of the solid silver examples. It is quite thick and heavy. I really like the wear on the pin where is has rubbed against the uniform loop (hinge end of the pin). Still waiting to find out who the KM officer was that wore this example and which AuxCr (Thor or Michel) he served on.

Reverse...

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, because I still need on of these for my Kriegs badge collection, it's going to be on the top of my list at this year's MAX Show. Because all of my other badges are Schwerin marked, I'd like to try and stay with that maker. Are there any particular points I should be aware of when looking for an original badge? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guys, because I still need on of these for my Kriegs badge collection, it's going to be on the top of my list at this year's MAX Show.  Because all of my other badges are Schwerin marked, I'd like to try and stay with that maker.  Are there any particular points I should be aware of when looking for an original badge?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There are some quite well made copies of the Tombak Schwerin badge in circulation. They are a bit of a mix though as they seem to have been based more on the Junker badge but with Schwerin markings. The two makers products are very similar but if you look at the reverse, in the 11 o.clock position, there are subtle differences around the gap between the top of the sail and the inside of the wreath.

Also, the fakes have far too "perfect" looking lettering to the makers mark. The lettering on the real pieces is quite delicate, the fakes much stronger.

Hi Larry,

The form of the maker's mark (different font and even/regular size on repros) and the hinge/pin/catch assembly are where the better repros still fall short. Make sure you know the differences between genuine tombak and zinc hinge/pin/catch assemblies. Another area the repro Schwerins can fall down is poor obverse detailing of the shields on the boat. and the sixe of the roundels in the center of the shields. Also, if you're looking for a tombak version, make sure it is fire-gilded and not just gilded (as per the "Cave Creek" repros).

Regards

Mike K

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    Guest Darrell

Well guys ... brought this little guy home with me tonight. Like the first one that Gordon posted ... an Unmarked 2 piece-riveted-Globe Juncker ACB.