News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Artillerie Beobachtung (Artillery Observation)

We've had some old threads showing periscopes; so, I thought I'd start on showing artillery observation techniques...

I'm including this here because it's a good image of an artillery observation balloon supporting the guns - even though it's an artist representation.

Speaking of periscopes... When I commanded an artillery battery in the early '80s, we still had something called a Battery Commander's Scope that looked exactly like this one in the photo...even though it was usually with the forward observers and not with the Battery Commander. It's legacy goes back to how field artillery was observed in the late 19th Century and the early part of WWI.

Hello Rick.

Regarding your post # 8 which shows the impact of a 42 cm Moerser. You may be well familiar with the following:

Going by memory this artillery piece was a surprise when WW I began. .It could penetrate any then existing fortification. It was "affectionally' called Die dicke Bertha which was derived from Mrs. Bertha von Krupp, wife of the then head of the Krupp weapons manufacturing company.

BTW: are you familiar with Oberst Georg Bruchmueller ( Durch-bruchmueller), artillery expert during operations in East and West?

Received his book " Die Deutsche Artillerie in den Durchbruchschlachten des Weltkrieges", 1921, Mittler und Sohn, Berlin. 2nd edition.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hello Rick.

Regarding your post # 8 which shows the impact of a 42 cm Moerser. You may be well familiar with the following:

Going by memory this artillery piece was a surprise when WW I began. .It could penetrate any then existing fortification. It was "affectionally' called Die dicke Bertha which was derived from Mrs. Bertha von Krupp, wife of the then head of the Krupp weapons manufacturing company.

BTW: are you familiar with Oberst Georg Bruchmueller ( Durch-bruchmueller), artillery expert during operations in East and West?

Received his book " Die Deutsche Artillerie in den Durchbruchschlachten des Weltkrieges", 1921, Mittler und Sohn, Berlin. 2nd edition.

Bernhard H. Holst

Bernhard, thanks for adding the info; yes, I'm quite familiar with Bruchmueller's work on the "Feuerwaltz"... I still have to get that book, however.