News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

SS research help required

I am trying to research SS Obersturmfuher Ernst Guckes who served in SS Wirtschaftsverwaltungshauptamt (not known which Amt) and later 3 SS (Panzer) Nachrichten Abteilung

His SS number is 312 767, any help appreciated

Many thanks, Paul

Just in case you don't have access to the Führerliste, here is his entry...

Born - 28.12.11 Siegen/Westf
    SS Nr - 312 769 (Slightly different from the one listed by yourself)
    Ostuf. - SS-Pz.Rgt.3 Oct 44
    Ostuf - IVa/SS-Pz.GR.5 Sept 44
    Ustuf - IVa/SS-Nachr.Abt.3 May 44
    Ustuf - IVa, IV/SS-Art.Rgt.3 Mar 43

• 1 month later...

You stand a chance with the SS Officer as his records might be held by NARA or Bundesarchiv. However the former generally ask for name and date of birth to see if they hold his records. He might be on the Führerliste - what is his name?

As for 'any soldier', the WASt holds a lot of records for those who served in the Wehrmacht but tend to only pass such details to Next Of Kin.

Thanks for the fast reply,

The soldier in question was my ex father in law who passed away many years ago..... I knew he had been in the Army and I once asked if he had ever seen Hitler,

he was a very heavy drinker and he told me yes he was in the SS and part of Hitlers body guard, his wife rushed in and stopped him from talking and it was never mentioned again.

Now some 40 years later my daughter wants to find out the truth about her grandfather.... he was Latvian born and his name was Boloslavs Brzeskis and his wife was German I don't know if he was telling the truth or it was the beer talking, but I do know he was a German Officer who served at the Russian front.

I can find out his birth date and I guess my eldest Daughter would now be his next of kin.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Kevin.

Your oldest daughter can contact WASt via this link... WASt ...giving them as much information as possible. They might take a few weeks or months to get back to her and don't be surprised if you hear nothing for 6 months only for them to contact her out of the blue with the details - if they have anything obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the story a bit odd. I question if a non-German would have been used as a bodyguard.

With regards to that part of the story I think that could of been the booze talking but hopefully any details gained from WASt will help to clear this up - although it wouldn't surprise me if WASt didn't hold details on Latvian members of the Wehrmacht.

Hi Paul,

You may be right, it may have just been the beer talking.

I did ask his wife many years after he died if he was in the SS, she said yes but didn't tell me what Regiment or anything else, the conversation ended.

The matter only came up again because my Daughter is doing the Family tree.

• 1 year later...

Nice item. I'm usually not a fan of late war Zweitschrift's but that is a nice example. Great to see that the photo has stayed in it.

The signature on Page 2 and the awards page is that of Paul Steinecke who finished the war as the Adjutant in Totenkopf's Divisional Staff.