Chris Boonzaier

Why did this man....

It's a little bit small, so I'm not sure, but wouldn't he also been entitled for a Krzyz Ochotniczy za Wojne 1918-1921?

I would read the year of his wounding as 1919 or 1915. Since in Sept. 1915 Lida in Belorussia was already under German control, I was assuming that he was wounded during the fightings in 1919. I also did not find any evidence on French soldiers there in 1915.

What is seriously wired, is the designation of his unit. What shall that be?

Edited by Auseklis

I found a date for the German occupation of Lida, given as Sept., 20. 1915. If that is a 24th as date of wounding, it might fit.

Then, I think the solution might be in this strange designation of the unit. Might this be a Russian unit? There is one that might be translated into French in this way:

лейб-гвардии 1-й стрелковый его величества полк

...and this regiment was in northern Belorussia during Sept. 1915...

I think it´s weird, but I´m convinced, he was a german soldier (Metzger = butcher) and for some really really strange reason he got the above medals, but (of course) no war and victory medal, because he never served with a french (or allied) unit.

But if I´m true I´m eager to learn WHY he got his french medals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metzger as a name is equaly common in France and Germany. It's typical alsacian.

The secret is out in the German Research forum,

Metzger was a "victim" of politics and moving borders. In 1914, due to no influence of his own, He was "German" and served in the army, and in 1918 he was "French"...

I am not sure of the exact rules and regulations, but having served, he qualified for the combattants cross and wound medal, but NOT for the war medal and Victory medal, as he did not serve in the French/allied army.