News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 1 month later...
    • 4 years later...

My great grandfather was part of 3. Kompanie E/VIII Kraftfahr-Bataillon Breslau (1916-1917) & Kraftfahr-Abteilung 1 (1917-1918) in Charleville France.

I have some photos of him from those times.

Does anyone have more information on what they would have been doing for duties during those times?

Also, I was looking to find a leather jacket like the ones they wore.  Is that possible?  Does anyone manufacture a good replica ?

Thank you

Daryl

Motorcycle3.PNG

scan0000028A.jpg

Hi,

very nice. The "E" stands for Ersatz=replacement. They would fill in the gaps or cater for additional demand. Later he was in a unit that would chauffeur others or deliver orders etc.

Here is one of mine:

GreyC

xKraftfahrerAbzeichenLederjackekl.thumb.jpg.cd22e969dc5f94fb078829dde270f1a2.jpg

My great grandfather was part of 3. Kompanie E/VIII Kraftfahr-Bataillon Breslau (1916-1917) & Kraftfahr-Abteilung 1 (1917-1918) in Charleville France.

I have some photos of him from those times.

Does anyone have more information on what they would have been doing for duties during those times?

Also, I was looking to find a leather jacket like the ones they wore.  Is that possible?  Does anyone manufacture a good replica ?

Thank you

Daryl

That is a great photo Grey !!!

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

here is one more from my collection: a fairly rare photo of a sub-unit of the Kraftfahr-Korps, the bike-riders. They had their own badge, but the "K" on the shoulder-boards like their colleagues on four wheels.

GreyC

xKraftradAbz_D2.thumb.jpg.9fa25b9d9d755e230e8b1ed9fbaef8d0.jpg

8 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

here is one more from my collection: a fairly rare photo of a sub-unit of the Kraftfahr-Korps, the bike-riders. They had their own badge, but the "K" on the shoulder-boards like their colleagues on four wheels.

GreyC

That is something I have never seen...

• 4 weeks later...

This is a very interesting photo. The sign says "Probe-Fahrt" "Tryout-tour". So the soldiers are either part of a driving school or some sort of mechanics who try out new or repaired motorcycles.

GreyC

Here is the back of the photo in his own handwriting.  Let me know if that gleams and information   

I was too young to really ever ask him when he passed in 1978, but my uncle said he would tell him stories of running messages back and forth to the front lines.

C023BA94-6743-4036-82F0-B7D1E71FAB87.png

Hi,

3rd June 1917

x=Head of repairshop Helmich

xx=Motorcycledriver Wohlebe of Motorcycle unit 1 (Kraftrad-Abteilung 1) Charleville-Mezieres, France

Merry Xmas,

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Actually, that writing was on the back of this photo.  But obviously taken at the same time.  Looks like my grandfather took this one and the other guy took the first photo. 

GreyC,

In the photo you have up top( and I attached), do you know what the “colors” were used on their visor hat?  The top and that band. I was looking to try to find one.  Even a reproduction one would be fine.  I’m just not sure which one it would be.

Thanks

0942C026-A875-4BDE-A6CA-E89EAC410964.png