News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Something for everyone in this family group WW1 WW2 Special Forces, Edged Weapons!

Dear Forum

Just thought I would share some pictures of a father and son lot both in the Queens regiment Father France and Flanders WW1 the Son in Burma a member of Wingates Chindits. As you will see a fascinating lot including a rare pick up souvenir a 1898 Dutch Cutlass modified by the Japanese to form a HeiHo Klewang and then picked up as a trophy of war.

another one of those off theme impulse buys split into two lots at auction but I couldn't let them go icon_rolleyes.gif

I was rewarded with some additional extras I wasn't aware of when purchased one of which I did not find until 6 months later icon_redface.gif

Here is the total grouping

IMG_0421_zpsd7bdb0ef.jpg

WW1 Pair to Private George Bayley 42478 Queens Regiment with uniform photograph.The lot sadly includes George's Death certifcate and funeral expenses statement he died in 1943 while his son was serving in his old regiment in Burma. I have to say the Victory medal is probably the nicest condition I have ever seen full gilding totally unmarked mint condition. Both medals clearly have never been mounted or worn.

The sons grouping to 5729733 Private Willam Bayley Queens Royal West Surrey, William served from 18/4/40 to 19/1/45 a total of 4 years 165 days. His Small book shows Burma Service 16/2/42 -16/5/44 and his discharge as NLFS 19/01/45. Although his medals are mint and have never been worn I wish his cap badge could talk it looks like it has been to hell and back! Now there is a Burma vet's badge if ever I saw one.

Some nice original documents and a signature?

IMG_0428_zps6b0e70ee.jpg

A small hand written note only discovered by me when I got the lot home simply says:

"The hospital was visited by Ike he signed my pay book" then in the same hand a later annotation in the same hand "He is now the president of the United States"!

Then over six months later I was showing a badge collecting friend the lot and he asked me about the little silk pouch for the first time I actually inspected it as there was no weight I assumed it was empty icon_redface.gif

IMG_0433_zps7a7e0f57.jpg

Out pops a very nice theatre made Chindits cloth shoulder title.

Finally not my thing at all but the short sword souvenir has turned out to be absolutely fascinating from a history point of view. icon_eek.gif

IMG_0435_zpseb438ea5.jpg

IMG_0438_zpsf58b2cb9.jpg

This weapon was originally a much longer basket hilted cutlass made at Hembrug for the Dutch East Indies Company @1898

When captured by the Japanese they shortened it and removed the basket guard and we end up with a rare variation known as the Heiho Klewang. It has a plethora of arsenal unit and maker marks.
    IMG_0442_zps367582fb.jpg

So made in 1898 for one purpose, captured and modified 1940 for another purpose, then picked up as a trophy in 1943! To the victor the spoils!

A fascinating complete lot with more research to do

Regards

Paul

Wow... that Chindit badge was a nice "liitle" bonus!!!!!!!!

I know Chris I felt such an idiot! :blush: I had shook it and it weighed nothing then my mate puts his finger inside a slides the shoulder title out he looked at my expression :speechless1: and said OMG you had completely missed that hadn't you?

Er well actually hmmm if the truth be known :whistle: fancy a beer?