News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Full Cavaliers of the Order of Glory - Present Day Market Realities

Gents,

After having offered no Full Cavalier-related items in over four months, the well-known NYC-area dealer has this loose Glory 1st for sale at an asking price of $9,400.00.

When he last offered this very same Glory 1st for sale on July 30th, 2003, his asking price was $1,995.00.

At his current price, that's an annualized return of 37% per year over the last 10 years. Not too shabby.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Yes, but what about annualized return for 2008 (last quarter) - 2013 period of time ;)

Edited by JapanX

Yes, but what about annualized return for 2008 (last quarter) - 2013 period of time ;)

The only thing you have to factor in is "storage space" and that's very little for Order of Glory :D:)

Its about the same return for watches :D you purchase at old prices and sell at just under new prices, at least with medals you are already obtaining a used item with history, with watches you could be buying new and then selling used.

I guess for medals and rarer awards and orders its more like if you can find something cheaper, then buy it :D if you can't, then pay the premium :S

Edited by Rogi

Its about the same return for watches you purchase at old prices and sell at just under new prices, at least with medals you are already obtaining a used item with history, with watches you could be buying new and then selling used.

Seiko? :lol:

I should have bought a set back when they were in the four digit range...

Senior Chief,

Congrats on the promotion!

Isn't that the truth. Instances of mid to high three-figure single Glory 1sts were not uncommon back in the day (the early '90s). If one were savvy enough to have pulled the trigger at that time, you'd be talking about a 50-60% annualized ROI today.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Seiko? :lol:

Yes even Seiko lol but the more luxury orientated "Grand Seiko" ;)

they were "cheap" in 08 compared to today's prices, you could buy one for 1-3k, now they start at 3k for entry level quartz and go up to 12k ;) the used market has been influenced greatly too

Just like the order of Glory 1st, its a Grand Seiko when compared to the 3rd class, which is like a Seiko :D, a good brand but not as expensive as the more luxurious offering. We could even argue that the Glory 1st represent Credor (the uber expensive Seiko love child :D) , 2nd Glory (Grand Seiko) and 3rd Glory (Seiko). Now I'm taking this too into watches JapanX post something soviet to derail me back on orders and medals track! hehehe

Edited by Rogi

they were "cheap" in 08 compared to today's prices, you could buy one for 1-3k, now they start at 3k for entry level quartz and go up to 12k ;) the used market has been influenced greatly too

Sounds like a safe way to make zillions! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

Currently available on the well-known auction site for a BIN asking price of $11,000.00. Before you rush off to log on to your PayPal account, however, note that like the Glory 1st in post #212 above, this is an unissued example. How it got out of the mint is an entirely different matter...

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

Hi,

How do you explain all the scratches ? Intent to make it attributed and worn ?

Last point for the experts: is it a real one ? Or a fake ?

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

Hard to say. While an unissued example, it appears legit. If it found its way out of the mint in the chaotic days after the Soviet Union's collapse over 20 years ago, it's been in circulation and changing hands for quite some time now. As I've commented previously, these Glory 1s were often viewed as pure cash commodities in the former Soyuz and not necessarily handled with the respect orders and medals collectors would show them. Scratches and gold check gouges on this and other Glory 1st specimens I've handled over the years (to include those I examined over 20 years ago) are very common.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Hi and thanks, Slava.

The problem is that with all these scratches, it indeed lose value. If I was the seller, I would have protected it to avoid scratches... Or I can only hope to sell it at gold value...

I have seen many orders "escaped" from the Mother Country, but in far better condition... :)

Cheers.

Ch.

One thing is for certain - these scratches has nothing to do with gold checking :whistle:

While an unissued example, it appears legit.

Btw, why do you think that this piece is an unissued one?

Edited by JapanX

Btw, why do you think that this piece is an unissued one?

JapanX,

As per the information contained in the book "Ordenskaya Knizhka Kniga 1 Kavalery Ordena Slavy Tryokh Stepeney" published in Moscow in 2005 by G. A. Grishko and M. Yu. Zhavoronkin.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Edited by slava1stclass

That doesn't really explain the baked look on the ring, I've seen a lot of patina on other pieces but none that have the semi burnt look on it and just the top section, for an un-issued peace the condition is still pretty odd if you compare with the previous 1sts on this thread.

That doesn't really explain the baked look on the ring, I've seen a lot of patina on other pieces but none that have the semi burnt look on it and just the top section, for an un-issued peace the condition is still pretty odd if you compare with the previous 1sts on this thread.

Rogi,

While unusual, it is not uncommon to see this darker coloration in isolated locations of a given specimen. The Glory 1st in the attached images is within 200 serial numbers of s/n 2174 and exhibits this same dark blotching around the eyelet (both sides). For me, this patina is less of a concern as to s/n 2174's originality.

Again, just because s/n 2174 was an unissued piece doesn't mean it was handled with kid gloves once it left the mint's door.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Gents,

I just happened upon this Category 4 (see post #1 this thread) Full Cavalier set which the other well-known NYC-area dealer offered at his January 6, 2011 auction. The set's Glory II and Glory III orders were duplicates. Opening bid was $15,000.00. It sold for $22,000.00.

Regards,

slava1stclass

Gents,

This is the Category 4 Full Cavalier set that is referenced in post #91 this thread. It was offered by the same dealer at his January 8th, 2009 auction. Opening bid was $20,000.00. Unlike the other Full Cavalier set he offered that day (see post #87 this thread) which sold for $50,000.00 (opening bid was $30,000.00), this set went unsold.

Regards,

slava1stclass