News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I just acquired a photo off EBAY that will be framed and stand next to a silver presentation mug to the same unit.

I looked at this photo and saw they all had Lugers but no other possible identification as a MG squad. No drag straps or readable shoulder insignia but chances were good they were a MG unit. Then I saw their boots....all wore ski boots so I decided to buy even before I looked at the backside and guess what???????????????? Bavarian 1st Ersatz Inf Regt 1 Masch-Gew Kompany is the post mark.

This MG photo is a great example of why collecting these relatively inexpensive items really make the whole collecting experience even better.

Machine Gun

Bavarian

Mountain

the boots

the Luger holsters

Combine this will actual items that you have ... like the Lugers in your collection. It's a great enhancement. Add the research possibilities and it's a great education.

And for those that can't afford the Lugers themselves... These photos let you collect that area... I really think photos and postcards are under appreciated. (Or maybe not considering the recent discussion on prices... :whistle: )

Out of curiosity, if it's not asking too much inside info, what price range did you snag this photo?

This MG photo is a great example of why collecting these relatively inexpensive items really make the whole collecting experience even better.

Machine Gun

Bavarian

Mountain

the boots

the Luger holsters

Combine this will actual items that you have ... like the Lugers in your collection. It's a great enhancement. Add the research possibilities and it's a great education.

And for those that can't afford the Lugers themselves... These photos let you collect that area... I really think photos and postcards are under appreciated. (Or maybe not considering the recent discussion on prices... :whistle: )

Out of curiosity, if it's not asking too much inside info, what price range did you snag this photo?

You sitting down???????????????????????????????

If that had been advertised with more pertinent information, it would have gone faster. Fortunately for me, it was a "Buy Now" item and not a "Bid Now" item..

Yea, sometimes the advertising is weak on info... A good thing for us! And a lot of folks don't look at the backs. I've snagged a lot of unusual artillery unit stempels on some very plain cards...

After closer examination, they do not have Luger holsters, they have 1907 Dreyse holsters, big difference, location of closer tab, location of extra magazine and it's length, the soft flaps that have gave way with hand pressure. Now why a mountain MG unit would have them is another question. The Austrians used them during the war and by 1914, the police of Saxony used them. They were a great pistol. Now, could a PO8 Luger be crammed into a Dreyse holster, maybe. In 1912 the 9 mm Parabellum Dreyse Model 1912 emerged as the gun's successor. Marked as the RM & M Dreyse, it was chambered for 9mm Parabellum. It was 160mm in length and with a 92mm barrel.

The Luger has a 92mm barrel also and an overall length of 222mm so I doubt if there are Lugers under those flaps.

BUT!!!!!! in one of my research books, it shows that Dreyse M1907 were issued to Ersatz MG Kompanies in both XV Korps and the 18th Korps. Now further investigation is so:

The 39th Royal Bavarian Reserve Division was a reserve infantry division of the Imperial German Army in World War I. It was raised to division status on October 2, 1914 from an ad hoc unit, "Brigade von Rekowski", and named "Division von Rekowski". On December 8, 1914 it was renamed the 39th Reserve Division. It was heavily made up of Bavarian units and on December 26, 1916 it was again renamed the 39th Royal Bavarian Reserve Division.

SO!!! at the beginning of the war, it was the 39th Inf Div and that Div was part of the XV Army Corps and they are the same MG unit and later when they were reverted back to the 39th Royal Bavarian Res Div, they still carried their pistol of issue in 1916 as the date of the photo shows, the M1907 Dreyse.

How I love research when it all comes together..... :beer:

Very nice photo with a rare unit!

Formations add:
    The regiment was set-up at nov., 3rd 1914 from the following units:
    b.Brig.Ers.Btl.1 (became I,.Btl.)

b.Brig.Ers.Btl.3 (became II.Btl.)

b.Brig.Ers.Btl.4 (became III.Btl.)

The commanders:
    Regiment: Oberst z.D. Kein

I.: Major d.R. Simon

II.: Major z.D. Bauer

III.: Oberstleutnant z.D. Schubert

Casualties: 21 officers, 974 NCOs and enlisted men

Very nice photo with a rare unit!

Formations add:

The regiment was set-up at nov., 3rd 1914 from the following units:

b.Brig.Ers.Btl.1 (became I,.Btl.)

b.Brig.Ers.Btl.3 (became II.Btl.)

b.Brig.Ers.Btl.4 (became III.Btl.)

The commanders:

Regiment: Oberst z.D. Kein

I.: Major d.R. Simon

II.: Major z.D. Bauer

III.: Oberstleutnant z.D. Schubert

Casualties: 21 officers, 974 NCOs and enlisted men

Great bit of info to awake to.....thanks............ :cheers:

A little bit of german grammar...

There is ONE Schütze, but many Schützen

In this case, the "n" is the plural. The sender has to be named Schütze

In may ^1916 the division held the sector of Ban-de-Sapt and Ste.Marie aux Mines (Alsace)

Edited by The Prussian