News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Wimereux Cemetry Postcard

Recently bought this postcard which has a picture of Wimereux Cemetry showing the graves of the British and Colonial army. What's interesting is what is written on the back.

"The military cemetry in Wimereux France, where my son is buried."

C R Sturrock.

Catherine Ross Sturrock was the mother of Private 763047 George Holmes Sturrock, 24th London Rgt Artists Rifles, age 24, 19/11/17.

Catherine resided 95 Ballow Rd, West Ealing London. His father David died 8 months after whilst doing national duty abroad. (Information from CWGC)

With Remeberance Sunday tomorrow we sometimes forget about those that were left behind and this postcard written probably after Catherine had embarked on a pilgrimage to her sons final resting place is a reminder of all those famiies and their loss.

An Irish-Canadian tenor, has a song, "The Wall" about visiting the Vietnam War Memorial in Washington DC and the chorus always catches at my throat:

"And every name's a father or a husband or a son,

Or a daughter or a brother or a cousin to someone.

Or a name might be a classmate or a friend you might recall.

There's nearly sixty thousand names a-waiting at the wall."

You can hear the song here: