News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden Karl Friedrich Militär-Verdienst-Medaille "Kempf"

Not Fritz Kempf.

Heinrich Kempf, Unteroffizier, Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 29. Karl Friedrich Militär-Verdienst-Medaille on 12 March 1915.

Thanks Dan,

The Battle of Neuve Chapelle perhaps?

I would love to find out more about Heinrich Kempf and what he did.

Edited by Alan

Hi Alan,

I think that 1.550 € isn´t a bargain.

But I love these named medals and You don´t

even find them very often here in Germany.

Regards

Andreas

To right Andreas, certainly not cheap, but I have seen them for a lot more.

Thanks Dan,

The Battle of Neuve Chapelle perhaps?

I would love to find out more about Heinrich Kempf and what he did.

At this early stage it is probably a very nice one indeed....

From the 10th October until June 1916 the division is listed as being in Artois, to the west of Bapaume. The notable actions for 1914-15 only seem to have been the 17th to 18th and 21st of December 1914 at Fricourt and Mametz, f0r 1915 you need to wait until June for the fight at Serre.

So if it was awarded for a notable fight, it would be mametz IMHO.

That is NOT to say that it was not awarded for one of any number of violent skirmishes.... these were simply not "big" enough to be mentioned in the battle calander of the unit.

I have plenty of groups where the action where the man was awarded his group was not important enough in the "big picture" to warrant a mention, and "micro research" is required to find it... makes the action no less heroic

Hi Alan,

I think that 1.550 € isn´t a bargain.

But I love these named medals and You don´t

even find them very often here in Germany.

Regards

Andreas

Hi,

I agree and disagree at the same time ;-)

My one, which i stupidly sold, cost EUR1000, but I would snap it up again at that price.

I think over the last few years the influence of "British Medal collecting" is slowly (very slowly) being felt. I think I have been applying it to documents for a number of years, although I dont think it is enough influence to effect the market as a whole.

By this I mean, if you take the standard set of British Medals to a man killed sometime in 1915, you may pay EUR100... if you take that same set to a man killed on the first day of the somme... you may have to pay 5 times more.... because the action makes the price of the medals.

In German collecting, it is visable on ebay with things like photos.... Some sellers tack the word "Verdun" on to photos that have nothing visable to do with verdun, as they think this ups the price....

So far German awards have been little effected by the "where amd when".... but I think over the next few years you may see items like this develope not a simple price "Karl Friedrichs are worth EUR1200"... but rather "Karl Friedrichs are usually EUR1200, but in case XXX thay are EUR1500 and for case XXX they could bring EUR2000" , an award to a Landwehr guy "somewhere in Russia" being on the lower end of the scale, and someone on the Somme, or Vimy Ridge being the high end of the scale....

That is NOT to say that it was not awarded for one of any number of violent skirmishes.... these were simply not "big" enough to be mentioned in the battle calander of the unit.

I have plenty of groups where the action where the man was awarded his group was not important enough in the "big picture" to warrant a mention, and "micro research" is required to find it... makes the action no less heroic

Couldn't agree more Chris.

Chris where can I find trios to 1915 KIA for 100 euros? Let me know and I will snap them up.

Paul

I bought my last British Trio many, many years ago... my prices may be a bit out.... ;-)

I simply meant the difference between a "killed by arty in a boring place at a time nothing was happening" compared to "killed with a bayonet on the first day of the somme" ....

Another thing that effects German prices very little is collectors who are willing to pay premium for Local Units. For my "local" unit in bavaria, there IS unfortunately competition.... but for most other units there is none....