News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dear All,

I have a basic question regarding the aviation units from 1914-1918.

Would someone be so kind to describe in three or more sentences what was the structure of the flying units in the Army?

What was the idea of Flieger Abteilung / Flieger Bataillons / Feldflieger Ersatz Abteilung.

Next - how to distinguish from one from another on the pictures? How to tell that what I can see is a ground unit (but still - from aviation unit), and not the flying team?

Kind regards,

Marcin

Edited by Marcin L

Hi Marcin,

this is a complex issue and i don't think i can cover it with some sentences.

But there is a new book about the imperial german aviation comming out the next months. I have this info from the author. I'm sure this book answer all your questions. I will write more when i get infos from the author.

If you are interessted on this topic you should spend the money for this book.

Regarding the identification of personal on pictures is more difficult. There are no guidlines how to distinguish this. It depend on the situation and on the hints from the picture itself.

Regards

Alex

Thanks Alex.

I understand that Flieger Bataillons were comprised of a number of Feldflieger Abteilungs (but how many, exactly?).

Also, the number on the shoulderboards was assigned to Bataillon, and not Abteilung. I am guessing now, but no numbers were present on the officers' shoulderboards.

As to the book you mean - hope it will be in English.

Kind regards and thanks for your help.

Marcin

Edited by Marcin L

Hi Mercin,

i think the book is in german.

About the german Flieger Bataillone (FB) here some basic infos.

Flieger Bataillon Nr. 1

Flieger Bataillon Nr. 2

Flieger Bataillon Nr. 3

Flieger Bataillon Nr. 4

Bayerisches Flieger Bataillon

On the bottom you find a section called "durch das Bataillon aufgestellte Abteilungen"

Means units introduced by this battalion.

The number on the strapes of EM and NCO are assigned to the Flieger-Ersatz-Abteilungen not to Flieger Batallion. During the war there were no battalions. This were transfered to the units you find behind the links.

Officer wear no number on the strapes only the winged propeller or the strapes of their regiment.

Regards

Alex

Alright then. Now I understand better - just need to know why we have "Ersatz" units, not regular abteilungs.

So the one below is from Flieger Ersatz Abteilung Nr 13, right?

I guess - a ground unit, as he is not an officer / no awards received.

Regards from Warsaw!

Marcin

Edited by Marcin L

Yes this man cames originaly from Flieger Ersatz Abteilung Nr 13. But they kept the number of the replacement unit after the tranfer on the front. Not possible to say where or when this picture was taken. Probalble this guy was a ground crew member but it could be also flight crew member.

Regards

Alex

Great, now I know more than I did in the morning today. I have more similar pictures, will post them in near future.

By the way - is it possible to tell who was a pilot/observer in a specific plane, just having the plane number? Like one below?

• 5 months later...

Dear All,

I just wanted to show my imperial german fliegers / staff. It is available here:

http://www.imperialgermanmilitaria.com/index.php/photos/branch/air-forces/91-deutsche-fliegertruppe-1914-1918

I don't want to double post it here in forum, hope you don't mind.

If anyone know anything about the pictures I showed, please tell :-)

Kind regards,

Marcin