News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian mod 1935 officers uniform and trench coat of a WWI soldier.

They are not wrong. They can be found on a military uniform and all of those medals can be awarded to the same man, but they are in the wrong order (and some should be removed due there is a higher decoration of the same order).

I will explain it medal by medal:

Top row:

Golden Medal in the Order of Leopold II: (I'm not sure but I think I see something in the center of the black stripe) -> Should be removed because there is a higher decoration (Officer) of the same order.

Officer in the Order of Leopold: -> Should be the first bar.

Officer in the Order of Leopold II: -> Should be the second bar.

Second Row:

Medal of Palmes in the Order of the Crown (can't see the center but the ribbon indicates that is on of those two) -> Should be removed because there is a higher decoration (Knight) of this order.

Commemorative Medal of the War 40-45: -> Should be after the Commemorative Medal of the War 14-18

Military Cross 1st Class: -> Should be after all the war medals

Third Row:

Unknown Medal:

Commemorative Medal of the War 14-18: -> should be after the Victory Medal

Firecross -> Should be after the War Cross 14-18

Fourth Row:

Knight in the Order of the Crown: -> Should be after the Officer in the Order of Leopold.

Knight in the Order of Leopold: -> Should be removed because there is a higher decoration (Officer) of this order.

War Cross 14-18: (I think but I'm not sure) -> Should be after the Knight in the Order of the Crown

Victory Medal: -> Should be after the Firecross

The right way to wear this should be:

Officer in the Order of Leopold - Officer in the Order of Leopold II - Knight in the Order of the Crown - War Cross 14-18 - Firecross - Victory Medal - Commemorative Medal of the War 14-18 - Commemorative Medal of the War 40-45 - Military Cross 1st class.

(Note that the unknown medal can be placed somewhere in between. I just can identify it on this picture)

I apreciate your effort, and you are probably right about the medals order.And very right indeed about some ribbons should not be present when over classed by a higher medal of the same order.

But thise uniform was found during a house clearence. the only merchant involved in the deal was me, and the price it was sold for, would not justify any effort to screw anyone.

Thise could be a example that regulations regarding thise matter were not always strictly applied.

Just like so many other examples can be found on different periodes and countrys.

Maybe he wasn't in active duty anymore after wwII and the uniform was only kept as a souvenir, or for ceremonial occasions ...

And the fact it being a 1935 uniform, makes sence that he worn his WWI medals and probably added his WWII medals to the allready present ribbons.

Anyway the ribbons never afected in anyway the value of the deal when I made it or when the seller presented it to me.

And I don't quiet understand the second part of your sentence.

cheers

|<ris

I am sorry if I offended you in any way, but you see a lot of merchants who try to "update" their goods (like adding medal bars so there is more history attached to it).

I agree that the regulations about this matters were not strictly applied, but I find that on this uniform it more looked like "Let's put some bars on it without caring if they are correct or not". I also find it odd that the WW I medals are behind the WW II medal.

You said you found it in a house clearance, ok, I believe you. As I said above, It was possible for one man to receive all of those decorations. I only found the order of they are put on odd, especially on a uniform of an officer.

I believe the second part of the sentence you refer to is "otherwise I have some doubts about the level of Majors in the Belgian Army :)". I see you are from Antwerp so I will say in dutch what I tried to say in that sentence (I agree it's not very clear): "anders heb ik mijn twijfels over het niveau van majoors in het Belgisch leger".

I just mean by it that I expect a major in the Belgian army should be able to put his decoration (more or less) in the right order.

Vincent

Hey Vincent,

I was indeed in the defence mode! ;-)

I agree fully about your point of it being a odd combination of bars.

Without knowing the exact order by heart I automatiquly had the feeling it was wrong, when I saw it the first time. Wrong in a way of wrong to the regulations, not in a order to fool anyone.

I bet it was the two purple ribbons who flashed thise "alarm"...

But thise is how I found it and thise is how it will stay.

I see what you ment about your comment on the major's level. Well I can't comment thise, I didn't know the man.

But like I said in my previous message, thise could have had so many reason's AND also the one you did mention. I payed like, let's say; just the price of the buttons of both garb's, that makes me pretty confident it must have been a other reason.....

cheers

|<ris