News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

French soldiers in Russia 1916

JBFloyd

A friend showed me a group of three French medals (Medaille Militaire; Croix du Combatant and Wound Medal) framed on a commemorative document for the man's service. In the identification of the man, it noted "27e Infantrie, blesse en Russie 1916".

I can find information about Russians in France, but almost nothing about French units in Russia. Can anyone enlighten me about the role of the 27th Infantry in Russia in 1916?

The French 27th Infantry Regiment was not in Russia in 1917.

A MM without a Croix de Guerre seems unlikely,....

I would guess a German soldier Wound and Combattants Cross, sexied up with an added Medaille Militaire?

Best

Chris

p.s. German 27th Infantry Regiment was not in Russia either that year, but it could have been the 27th bavarian Inf Regt who were...

I think we have the same thing, like in Auseklis´ link in ppost 2.

Probably an Alsacian, who fought in Russia with a german unit. After the war, the Alsace came back to France, be became french and he recieved the french medals... That´s my only thought

In this case, the man's name was Louis George.

Was not the Croix de Guerre limited to actions in France, and not awarded for exterior theaters?

I could understand Alsatians receiving French service medals, but the Medaille Militaire seems unlikely.