News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1/5th Battalion Royal Leicestershire in Norway 1940

Dear fellow researchers,

I would appreciate your help on this group of items.

A guy on my german "home-forum" presented a group of decorations and souvenirs from a soldier of Wehrmacht MG Bat. 13.

Part of this group are these 3 collar device sized british pins. Obviously taken as a souvenir in 1940 around Lillehammer, when MG Bat. 13 and 1/5th Battalion Royal Leicestershire Reg. fought for short period.

I have some questions regarding these devices.

Are they officers only or all ranks?

May they belong to one person? (Medic of the Leicestershires?)

What is the Crown standing for?

Thanks for your help!

Top right is a cap badge for the Leicesters - officers wore a darkened badge for the field. The crown appears to be that for a Major -

the pin and chain may have been added to make it a gift to a lady. The RAMC cap badge appears to be a standard one - probably,

separate from the Leics. badge. Mervyn

Thanks for you reply. The chain is not attached to the crown, it is from another souvenir item the german soldier picked of later in Finland.

However, the Leicestershires had not that much losses during the Norway operation. Is there a list of MIA/KIA's for them?

The badges are collar badges. The size of the crown (for major and up) defines the size of the badges.

Also, the Leichestershire cap badge is different, the wreath is not close as is the case with this badge.

However, it is puzzeling how collar badges ended up in Norway, because to my knowledge, the British troops (all ranks!) who were sent there all wore battle dress, and these collar badges were worn on the service dress in bronze by officers or in brass by other ranks. Yes, also, orher ranks wore the woolen service dress, but of a course material, including collar badges, however these were no longer issued to troops who went overseas. Some troops of the BEF went to France wearing woolen service dress, but these were rapidly changed by the 37 pattern battle dress.

However, it is puzzeling how collar badges ended up in Norway, because to my knowledge, the British troops (all ranks!) who were sent there all wore battle dress, and these collar badges were worn on the service dress in bronze by officers or in brass by other ranks. Yes, also, orher ranks wore the woolen service dress, but of a course material, including collar badges, however these were no longer issued to troops who went overseas.

Thanks for the input!

That would support the baggage idea of Chris, I think.