News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KuK Soldiers wearing medals - show your photos

IrishGunner

Here is a photo of my Great Grandfather. Karl Ostermaier, Militärmedikamentenoffizial

Great-Opa.jpg

Here is an interesting photo from a pamphlet about Hanns Hacker's  military service: 1891 - 1961 Landesobmann der Tapferkeitsmedaillenbesitzer Osterreichs   Hanns Hacker – ein Siebziger

hacker.jpg

Edited by WJT

W

Your great grandfather was listed as a Stabsapotheker (Major equivalent) and s shown in the photo. Promoted 1 May 1916.  He was last assigned to Garisonspital No. 25 in Sarajevo.     Information from 'Jahrbuch fur die Militarartze 1918'.

The photo of Hanns Hacker is incredible. Long service NCO.

Regards,

Ian

Ian,

Thank you so much for the information. What kind of information doe the  'Jahrbuch fur die Militarartze 1918' have in it.

Also here are pictures of my Grandfather, Karl Otto Oatermaier:

Opa2%202.jpg

Opa2%202a.jpg

w%20tilton%20grandfather.jpg

The Year book list all Medical Officers and Apothecaries of the Common (K.u.K.), K.K. Landwehr and the Honved.

Current rank, year promoted, orders and medals awarded and their current duty station.

The Year book was produced from about 1866 through to 1918. Copies are difficult to locate.

As a former sailor and submariner I just love the photos of your grandfather.  Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Ian

1 hour ago, WJT said:

Ian,

Thank you so much for the information. What kind of information doe the  'Jahrbuch fur die Militarartze 1918' have in it.

Also here are pictures of my Grandfather, Karl Otto Oatermaier:

w%20tilton%20grandfather.jpg

Great photos of your grandfather.  My great grandfather was KuK Matrose too.  

Do you know when and how long did he serve on SMU-4?

Edited by Von Thronstahl

Ian,

I too was a sailor and a submariner. Thank for the info. I would like to know what awards my Great Opa received and any other information there might be about him.

Von Thronstahl

My Grandfather served from 1913 to 1918 but was on the U-4 from 1913 to 1916. He went to a surface ship in 1917 due to poor health. If you search "submarine" or "WJT" in this forum you will see his submarine badge. I see you are in Croatia. I was in Dubrovnik and Montenegro a few years back being interviewed for a documentary for Czech TV on the wreck of the Giuseppe Garibaldi and was able to walk in my Grand Opa's footsteps. 

Here is another photo of an officer a acquaintance of mine knew. He gave me the photo with a small cup from the KuK Kriegsmarine:

KuK-Officer.jpg

Edited by WJT

WJT,

According to the 1918  Year book your Great Grandfather was warded the following:

Franz Josef Order - Ritter with war decoration

Jubilee medal

Jubilee cross

Ian,

Thanks, I believe those are the medals in his photo if I am not mistaken..

Is there a Year Book that would have my Grandfather listed?

Here are my Great Grandfather's awards

GOPAs_medals.jpg

It would appear that what is listed in the Year book is nor quite correct.   I had another look at the photo of your great grandfather and the last medal he is wearing is the 1912-1913 Mobilisation Cross (1st one in your photo) and the 3rd medal is the so called Kreigsmedaille originally issued in 1873, but was often worn by those who were in the Armed forces at the outbreak of the Great War.

7 hours ago, WJT said:

Ian,

Thanks, I believe those are the medals in his photo if I am not mistaken..

Is there a Year Book that would have my Grandfather listed?

Here are my Great Grandfather's awards

You can write to this address:  gdpost@oesta.gv.at 

They can definitely find information about your grandfather, considering informations you can provide them  about your grandfather.  

17 hours ago, WJT said:

Von Thronstahl

My Grandfather served from 1913 to 1918 but was on the U-4 from 1913 to 1916. He went to a surface ship in 1917 due to poor health. If you search "submarine" or "WJT" in this forum you will see his submarine badge. I see you are in Croatia. I was in Dubrovnik and Montenegro a few years back being interviewed for a documentary for Czech TV on the wreck of the Giuseppe Garibaldi and was able to walk in my Grand Opa's footsteps.

This photo of SMU-3 and SMU-4 was taken in 1914.   Your grandfather is probably on board. 

smu3 i smu4.JPG

Here is a pic of the cup and a card with the cup.

The cup and pic of the officer went together. Any information about him would be great.

20160604_141033.jpg

20160604_141000.jpg

Would you translate?

Also you mentioned you were a sub sailor. What boat or boats?

Edited by WJT
    Revision

8 hours ago, WJT said:

Here is a pic of the cup and a card with the cup.

The cup and pic of the officer went together. Any information about him would be great.

20160604_141033.jpg

20160604_141000.jpg

Would you translate?

Also you mentioned you were a sub sailor. What boat or boats?

Das ist das Kaffehaferl des k.u.k. Marineoberstleutnant Rudolf Slezak, meines Großvaters

That´s the coffee-cup of the k.u.k. Naval-Lt.Col. Rudolf Slezak, my grandfather

A Kaffehaferl is an austrian word for coffee-cup

Inside of this book you´ll find him. Unfortunately the names-index ends with "Sch", so I couldn´t find him.

You´ll have to read the entire book...

https://ia802704.us.archive.org/20/items/rangundeinteilu03marigoog/rangundeinteilu03marigoog.pdf

Rudolf Slezak

Obermaschinenbetriensleiter 1st Klass.  Promoted 01 Mar 1915

Born 1867

FJO-R (KD), GVK mit Krone, Jubilee medal, Jubille Cross and  1912-1913 Mobilisation Cross

Serving aboard SMS Donau in Sebenico (local area)  in late 1917/1918

Edited by Ian
    Updated information

42 minutes ago, WJT said:

Response to ID 132 Von Thronstahl'

Opa was on board U-4 from 1913 to 1917. Pardon my ignorance but what does Matrose mean.

Matrose is German word for sailor.

I´ve enjoyed your grandfather photos very much.As I said before, my grand grandfather was KuK matrose too. He served for 9 years. He served in China too but I still can´t determine for how long and in which period.  He is the main reason for my fascination with KuK Kriegsmarine.

My grandfather was in KuK Heer and I still have to find out in which unit and where. I know he was active during whole ww1 and that he served some time in Montenegro.

Edited by Von Thronstahl

• 4 weeks later...