News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KuK Soldiers wearing medals - show your photos

IrishGunner

Wow! Very impressive collection!

First of all, an exception: the first post second row first picture is a Hungarian Army szakaszvezető (Zugsführer) after 1939 with two commemorative medals, presumably the Upper Hungary and Transsylvania.

The most impressive picture for me it`s definitely 2nd one from left in the first post. Picture is showing man in his 40s in the uniform of Austrian Bundesheer till 1933. I cant recognize the rank but he is either higher NCO or lower ranked officer (Lt., ObLt.). He is having ribbon of Iron Cross 1914 II. Class in his button hole, but mostly the Golden Bravery Medal. This bravery medal is older issue, hence 1849 or 1859. I can`t see it properly in all details but head of the Emperor FJI is clearly heading to the left. This might seem strange but here is a clarification for this. It`s quite simple. At the beginning of the Great War many, if not all, Golden Bravery Medals awarded to soldiers and NCOs had been coming from "old reserves" which were exploited till spring 1915 and only afterwards the Golden Bravery Medals with portrait of FJI (heading to right) started to be awarded. Very interesting and rare picture indeed.

Regards,

tifes

Thanks for sharing your observations guys!

@Markgraf, can you please give the number of the Hungarian photo (this gan be found under the left corner, after clicking on the picture).

@tifes, below the tekst on the reverse of this photo

Three with qualification badges:

Zugsführer with Minenwerferabzeichen (mortar badge) on the collar, the right side badge is Richtauszeichnung für die Artillerie (Marksmanship Badge for first gunners), his medals are: Silberne Tapferkeitsmedaille 2. Klasse, Bronzene Tapferkeitsmedaille with two bands, Karl Truppenkreutz, and Militärdienstzeichen für Mannscaft presumably 3. class.

Gefreiter, the right side badge is Sappeur- und Pionierauszeichnung (Skillful engineer badge), his cross is Eisernes Verdienstkreuz.

Zugsführer with Krankenpflegerauszeichnung (Skillful medic badge), medals are: Bronzene Tapferkeitsmedaille, Karl Truppenkreutz, and Militär-Jubiläumskreuz 1908

@tifes, below the tekst on the reverse of this photo

Anton Schmidt, Zugsführer, GegArtReg 4 (mountain artillery regiment), awarded Golden Bravery Medal on 17th April 1915. Photo taken by the occasion of 25th marriage anniversary (so-called silver marriage anniversary). Really unique photo of WWI Austrian hero.

Anton Schmidt, Zugsführer, GegArtReg 4 (mountain artillery regiment), awarded Golden Bravery Medal on 17th April 1915. Photo taken by the occasion of 25th marriage anniversary (so-called silver marriage anniversary). Really unique photo of WWI Austrian hero.

That is indeed something special, thank you very much!!!

@Markgraf, can you please give the number of the Hungarian photo (this gan be found under the left corner, after clicking on the picture).

The two Hungarians:

Szakaszvezető (Zugsführer) after 1939 with two commemorative medals, presumably the Upper Hungary and Transsylvania.

Őrmester (Feldwebel) between 1926 and 1939 with 3. class Service Sign for enlisted.

Edited by Markgraf

Markgraf, thank you very much for the photos in #32. I didn't even know the skill badges existed!

I really like that artillery and minenwerfer one!

The full system of the qualification badges:

http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/badges/qualbadges.htm

A better photo of the Minenwerferabzeichen:

1867_k_a_c_f_31.jpg

Edited by Markgraf

Outstanding medal bar!

Anyone else notice the officer wearing the Saxon Albrecht order x from the lower left (12/8/13)?

No, I didn't notice the Saxon award when I first looked at those photos. Thanks for pointing it out...

And thanks to everyone posting ... it's been a great thread on Austrian awards!

Edited by IrishGunner