News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KuK Soldiers wearing medals - show your photos

IrishGunner

Let me introduce to you Feldwebel Merényi (Maczéjka) Ferenc of the k.u.k. 69 (Freiherr v. Leitner, later Hindenburg) IR.

His short service record (from the regimental history):

- 1911/13 conscripted service in the 69. IR

- 1914.07.28-1917.11.01 draft agency Székesfehérvár

- 1917.11.01-1918.03.14 Pilsen 69. IR replacement batallion, Italian theatre in Rizzolo, 6th army as the teacher of the paymaster school.

434th POW group St.Antonio, Trischina and Tovenába.

- 1918.11.18 back to Székesfehérvár and became professional NCO

Served in the 3rd infantry regiment until 1922 then joined to the Hungarian Railways.

As recruit in 1911:

Like Feldwebel after the war (according the contemporary military slang: hero father or old holiness :) )

Stabsfeldwebel (Staff Sergeant) Leopold (Lipót) Gérer, Platoon Commander (Zugskommandant), Maschinengewehr Kompanie III. (III. Machine gun Company). He is wearing "Great" silver bravery medal - two times awarded, "Little" silver bravery medal, bronze bravery medal, Karl - Troops Cross and Mobilization Cross 1912/13...

..here one civilian with medals... and one brain - teaser.. :) who can guess wich medals is he wearing? :)

Well, it's the first one that is difficult...

Because #2 and #3 are...

VERDIENSTKREUZ mit KRONE

JUBILÄUMS - MEDAILLE für ZIVILSTAATSBEDIENSTETE (1898)

..here one civilian with medals... and one brain - teaser.. :) who can guess wich medals is he wearing? :)

Is the fir

...oh, i forgot... the photograph is made 1882, so no Jubilee medal :)

Okay... The first one could be something to do with...

Johanniter-Malterser-Ordenen für das Grosspriorat Österreich und Böhmen

• 2 weeks later...

I've got it! Landwehr economical officer (Truppenrechnungsführer-Offizier)

They had same double-breasted dark green waffenrock with light blue piping and collar as the k.u.k Armee but with silver numbered buttons! And the economical officers had normal rank stars not rosettes.

The 2 means the 2nd Landwehr Regiment Linz.

If you're only going to have three medals, you can do worse than these three :)

1st Lt. with I. & II. class Silver Bravery Medals and Karl Truppenkreutz. He recieved as Fähnrich or lower rank because these Bravery Medals were non-officer awards.

1st Lt. with I. & II. class Silver Bravery Medals and Karl Truppenkreutz. He recieved as Fähnrich or lower rank because these Bravery Medals were non-officer awards.

Thank you for your commentary, Markgraf. I always have difficulty distinguishing between the rank insignia for a Gefreiter and for a Leutnant/Oberleutnant as they seem the same or similar to me. Because of the awards, which you point out are for non-commissioned ranks, I had assumed he was a Gefreiter. How can you tell, in this particular case, that he is actually an Oberleutnant, please?

Edited by Trooper_D