News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Schwere Reiter M09 Tunic

Ehat I find interesting is the Herman Historica one has sewn in Shoulder boards... so does mine.... but when you look at them, they still have the tab under them for slip on boards... and the boards themselves are slip on, and still have THEIR tabs underneath.

So the tailor took a jacket with slip on boards, and sewed them in, without changing the boards or the jacket!!

Hmmm... I am a bit confused here ...

I have no doubt about the authenticity of this piece, the wear and the slight moth tracking etc all fit perfectly... but the green collar is hard to place... I have found one period pic of a bavarian officer with a green collar, is it a war time anomoly?

Best

Chris

After 10mins thumbing back to original post did not army have longer tunics and artillery errr shorter?

or arms same length man have shorter 'trunk'. lol!

confuhoss also say...man with short arm have trouble pee pee

This is one reason why I am not a fan of officer's and private purchase NCO's tunics. During the war there was a lot of liberty taken with the regulations, especially in the area of hybrid mixes of M10 and M15/16 tunic features.

Chip

can anyone explain why this tunic has red piping on the collar and on the cuffs? Any why Swedish cuffs?

I read that the Bavarians adopted Red piped Swedish cuffs on the 1915 friedens Uniforn.... would this be connected to that?

Chris,

Have you considered that this might not be an infantry tunic? In examining your photos, the shoulder boards do not seem to match the condition of the tunic. One has moth holes and the other appears to have a staining of the Unterlage. This also might explain why they were sewn in rather than just buttoned on using the loops.

I believe that Beamten wore red piped Swedish cuffs. Anyway, something to think about.

I don't think these cuffs are connected to the adoption of red piped barrel cuffs on the Bavarian Bluse. The cuffs shown are not barrel cuffs, but rather normal sized Swedish cuffs with buttons.

Chip

Hi,

I am open to suggestions. Hermann Historica had more or less the same with a "2" on the boards, they say it is 2nd infantry, but cannot be as the 2nd had a cypher.

Regimentals has 2 such tunics but identifies them as Bavarian Heavy Cavalry.

The boards are of course worth discussing. The minimal mothing on the jacket is on the one board and on the collar close to it, but just on the front side of one. Taking into account the Jacket is set up for slip on boards... and these themselves are slip on... sewing them in is taking a lot of trouble for no reason. Would have been waaaaaaay easier just to grab a new set of boards and slip them on, no need to sew anything.

(Once again, the Herman H and Regimentals one ALSO have the boards sewn in). If someone was to do a dodgy, it would have been better to have the moth nips facing backwards. I will check the discoloring when I have a chance to get at it again.)

Although a bit dissapointing if it were not Infantry... Schwere Reiter is not the worse thing it could be... there is not a lot of Info about cavalry uniforms online.

I stupidly did not buy some books on Feldgrau this weekend... I should have, but the money ran out :-(

(I did not ignore your thought on Beamte, but the old traces of medal loops make me think this unlikely, he would have had 3 medals and a pin back medal...which i think may have been a lot for an official)

After 10mins thumbing back to original post did not army have longer tunics and artillery errr shorter?

or arms same length man have shorter 'trunk'. lol!

confuhoss also say...man with short arm have trouble pee pee

haha... you are right... there is a the army... then the artillery

The sleeves seem to be ok, it is the tunic that is very long compared to others.... but same as the Herman H and Regimentals ones with this set up.....

Chris

I have the two smaller Kraus volumes they are wonderful but in German means type everything in translate on something of interest. I have a m15 and a mantel with stitched boards on top of the loops. I know I only 'play war games' but notice slip-ons are a pain always getting snagged on things, may mean something in fact one learns alot just wearing the same clobber for a few days ie: steel helmets I can't stand it for more than half an hour at a time.

Sorry gone on abit its the meds.

Eric

There might be a misconception here about tunic, bluse and einheitsmantels that look to be set-up for removable boards.

In 1916 the "schlaufe" (Sic) was introduced that looked like the old loop for removable boards. That was not the intent, the schlaufe was supposed to allow for the sewn on (in for Bavaria) board to be folded underneath it. This was a security measure.

So having the schlaufe with sewn on boards is by regulation. I see lots of repro garments for reenactors with removable boards and this is not what should be done. I also lots of reenactor sites that say the unpiped boards are late war and Great coat which is not true--unpiped boards 5.5cm wide were introduced in Jan 1915 for Army wide use to replace Korps piped boards and the M15 boards were meant to replace those.

Wearing removable boards with a schlaufe was done but not regulation.

Joe Sweeney

Hi,

the schlaufe here are too narrow to fold anything underneath it, it is maybe 1.5cm wide and is just wide enough to slip the Lasche on the back of the board through it,

Best

Chris

P.S. If anyone feels like going the thread on the different kinds of OR boards, i would be greatful, I am a bit in the dark about the different kinds. :-)