News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian Schwere Reiter M09 Tunic

I have that book. It's a nice one. The two volume Kraus set (now expanded to three volumes) is a much superior publication for detailed information. His book on the WWI collections of the Bavarian Army Museum and Heeresgeschichtliches Museum is more or less a picture book, though I do refer to it occasionally, to see actual type pieces.

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

a French collector confirms that this is a Bavarian schwerer Reiter with a non regulation green collar.

It is a difficult Tunic to identify as the total number of men in the Bavarian Heavy Cavalry was just 2 battalions, or just two thirds the size of an infantry regiment. Each of the two Regiments was under 700 men, about the size of an Infantry Battalion.

I found one period color drawing of an officer wearing this kind of jacket with the same piping and swedish cuffs, unfortunately he is attached to the Flying branch and he is just described as a beobachter.

If the original owner had been happy with a field grey collar it would have been easier, but all in all I am pretty happy... they may not have been infantry, but its better than artillery :-)

The Nigel Thomas book says "The two bavarian Heavy Cavalry Regiments (1 and 2) had Bavarian Infantry Uniforms, but the M1909 heavy cavalry field tunic had swedish cuffs..."

Here is a pic of a similar tunic... the officer in question must have transfered in from another branch and as the bavarian cavalry seems to be the only ones with this constalation, maybe that was his origin.

Now, this may sound like wishful thinking, but it is not... The loops on this (see post 7) are really low, and they are 3.6cm apart. No Iron Cross 1st class fits... I had thought one of the Bavarian higher MVOs, but not for an Leutnant. When I saw the card pictured here, I wondered if it may not have been for an observer badge as well? I think quite a few cavalry officers were also flyers?

Anyway, as I said, not wishful thinking on my part... I really wanted a Bavarian infantry officer... cavalry is pretty low on my list and I have never been interested in flyers (if thats what the badge was)

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked this up....

They used to be 1. Kürassier-Regiment „Prinz Karl von Bayern“, but in 1878 they dropped the heavy Breat Plates etc and as they no longer had Kürassier equipment, were changed to 1. Schwere Reiter Regiment.

This badge for Veterens of the unit has both designations, I am guessing Pre WW1.... Nice Looking Badge