News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

94th Company Coast Artillery 1902 cap badge

IrishGunner

With the humblest respect, might this not be a collar badge? I'm not a student of the US Army, but my father's collar badges from 1917 looked just like this (without the numerals). Just asking.

With the humblest respect, might this not be a collar badge? I'm not a student of the US Army, but my father's collar badges from 1917 looked just like this (without the numerals). Just asking.

Hugh, according to my reference, 1902 Coast Artillery collar badges had pins and cap badges had screw backs. Mine is a screw back; so, I presumed cap badge, but I could be reading the reference incorrectly.

Here's the reference - see Page 2: http://www.cdsg.org/reprint%20PDFs/CACinsignia.pdf

You might find the homepage of the Coast Defense Study Group of interest...

Edited by IrishGunner

• 2 weeks later...

I should know better. Thanks for the reference. My father's cap badge was the American eagle.

Merry Christmas!

H

Hugh, in 1917 all cap badges changed from branch insignia to the eagle; so, that would make sense for your father's insignia.

From 1905-1917, the cap badges were still branch insignia, but were smaller than the 1902 version. Here is a Field Artillery cap badge...1905-1917. A CAC cap badge would have been similar, but with the Company number on the bottom. Alongside with the pin back is the 6th FA enlisted collar insignia, 1905-1917. CAC would have had the Company number on the bottom. The shell disc in the center of the cannons for CAC enlisted insignia didn't come until the end of 1917.

Gold was for the blue dress uniform and black was for the olive service uniform.

Edited by IrishGunner