News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More jump wings

gregM

I have a few sets of jump wings. Most are flea market and gun show pickups and I am sure that none

are ww2 issue pieces. I am just wondering if any are real or are they just crap made to sell.

[attachmentid=28881]

Isn't anyone willing to give me any feedback at all on these wings and ovals?

I would say that they are all real and post WWII. That is because they are clutch back rather than pin back. The subdued (black) para wings can out in the Vietnam era. So they could age anywhere anywhere from the 50s to 90s. Since these para badges were made by a variety of companies there are many variations.

As for the jump ovals, since they are cut edge they are probably pre mid-60s when merrowed edged ovals started showing up. The red and blue is the 505th Parachute Infantry and I belive the gold and teal blue is Special Forces.

Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle

• 1 month later...

Most WWII and 1950's era para badges were pin back and marked sterling, like the example below made by N.S. Meyer -

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Most of the SIMCO-GI badges I've seen have been 1960s Vietnam vintage. Also check the clutch backs, WWII clutch backs have a smooth front as post war clutchs have sets of rased 'dimples" on the front edges.

It is possible that your veteran may have purchased this badge after the war if he stayed in the service.

Kevin

Most WWII and 1950's era para badges were pin back and marked sterling.Most of the SIMCO-GI badges I've seen have been 1960s Vietnam vintage. Also check the clutch backs, WWII clutch backs have a smooth front as post war clutchs have sets of rased 'dimples" on the front edges.

It is possible that your veteran may have purchased this badge after the war if he stayed in the service.

Kevin

Thanks, no they are dimpled so post war it is, the funny thing is this guy is a BRITISH PARA (16 div) vet. So how the heck did he get US para wings?

Edited by bratwurstdimsum

Attachments to and cross-training with airborne units of friendly nations and allies is not at all unusual.

Your vet may have done the US jump course and qualified. Alternatively, he may have spent time or briefly served with a US airborne unit that unofficially "awarded" him their jump wings if he was considered to have satisified the award criteria.

Whether his parent unit actually allowed foreign jump wings to be worn more than 50 years ago is another matter. It is not unusual to see qualification badges of other nations worn by NATO soldiers today.

Attachments to and cross-training with airborne units of friendly nations and allies is not at all unusual.

Its funny you should say that David, I just went downstairs and had a chat to him, Richard's his name.

When I asked:

1) what a British vet was doing with american jump wings he smiled at me and said that he had a right to wear them, it was given to him and every one of his unit by Americans, he said "121st (later 101st) Airborne had them shipped to England by the crateful",

2) about where he wore it during the war he said: "only on the Gala Uniform above my ribbons"

3) about the brass material used to make up the badge he said, "yes good brass, everything metal was melted down for the war effort",

4) why the lugs on the badge were post war, he said that these were lost and replaced over time as it was easy to do.

5) why this wasn't taken along with his uniform by the robber, he became tearful and said that he and his friend were given these from the Americans, the one I had in my hand belonged to a friend of his who stepped on a mine and died. He shipped his belongings back to his relatives and forgot to send the badge back.

So why do I believe him? He gave it to me for our friendship, I've seen his RSL photos and his belongings from the British 16th PARA division.

So given all this, is it a possibility that this was some kind of "sweetheart" wings that was made (maybe not specifically for the paras) for public relations ? There is another possibility and that he's going senile, he IS 86 but remembers locations on a map in italy like suburbs in my city and is as lucid as you or I.

Edited by bratwurstdimsum

So given all this, is it a possibility that this was some kind of "sweetheart" wings that was made (maybe not specifically for the paras) for public relations ?

No these were standard wings characteristic for a 1960s to 70s issue badge. Here is an example of one currently on sale at E-Bay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1960s-Era-US-Air-Force...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by ehrentitle

• 3 months later...