Pin Stamped EK1s

I have had this cross for some time and it is the best one I own quality wise. I'm not really an EK collector and only have 40 or so anyways. But I always wondered why the maker didn't mark his work.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I found this little beauty on ebay (yeah, you guys can keep hating ebay all you want but if you know what you are looking at....) The pics were crap as usual but I took the chance.

But the marks on the underside of the pin are not believed to be actual maker marks but rather "additional" control marks, as they come on maker marked crosses, too....

If I were you, and if I could, I'd compare the frames to crosses by known makers. Starting with the five well-know Berlin jewellers would be promising.

I'll do that this weekend. I don't think these marks can be so easily classified as either this or that. Unless of course there is a regulation somewhere dictating the matter. :whistle:

As said, they come on apparently maker marked crosses, too, which makes it quite obvious in my opinion.

I'm a bit dense. What is so obvious? Last I heard "it was thought" they were control marks. Control of what? Show me other Imperial era jewelry that have additional control marks please. At one point in time "it was thought" only Juncker made the Army Parachustist Badge. It was thought that badges marked with the rounded letters R.S. were all post war...... Collector's have had lots of incorrect thoughts over the years. The older collectors have a hard time letting them go, even in the face of evidence.....

Don, Sasha specifically said the marks you refer to, "come on maker marked crosses." Why not ask him to explain what that means, the difference between maker and control/assembly marks, and for any photos he might have with more than one marking.

Edited by Les

Perhaps the mark on the pin is the mark of the company that made the pin. Not all companies produced their own hardware just as not all maker marks are really such. Some maker marks are actually distributor marks. I just find a "control mark" answer to be a convenient dodge for "We don't know."

As promised, I compared the two EK1s against the "K" marked EK2 in Wernitz. The cores and frames match, as do the marks. Trevor did an independent evaluation of the crosses and reached the same conclusion wrt the cores/frames.

So, is "K" a maker mark or a control mark? How did Wernitz attribute the "K" mark to Kluge & Co.?

Don, I am following this thread of yours with enthusiasm. Statistically it is possible that two eks with a K mark may one be from maker and other a control mark just the same by chance... But your findings with regards to core and frame details are promising :-) I only wish Wernitz would be so kind to answer the Kluge question you put forward. Email him mate! Cheers,

Alex

Just to add to the conversation----

I think this cross is a match. Hard to be 100% sure because

of the frame wear. I have always thought it was a "Fr".

Edited by gregM