News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

6th class Rising Sun in Chocolate Case

JapanX

Looks like we find the owner! :lol:

What's up Igor? ;)

Thanks for these scans.

Yes, rim has same color, so it's not a simple consequence of burning-out process.

So either someone made a mistake and instead of black lacquered case made a chocolate one (I have serious doubts that this is possible, but why not?) or something happened with this case (hostile environment? reaction to chemicals? mistake in lacquer composition?).

Whatever cause was - I like the result! :lol:

Tropical Climate cause! lol :D This is the case ;)

Thank you for sharing the interior of the case with us Igor

With Regards,

Igor :)

Edited by Rogi

• Replies 63
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think even by these photos its obvious that marrauders case is much blacker than yours.

It is a usual story with black cases from early 1890s-early 1920s period of time.

They have this slight redness at the edges of the case ;)

Most likely you are right. But what if that case is really dark brown. And the colour of the enamels on that order seems quite similar for mine. And what about the colour of ribbon? That order has well-known Mint mark. May be we could define the place of production of such orders.

Most likely you are right. But what if that case is really dark brown. And the colour of the enamels on that order seems quite similar for mine. And what about the colour of ribbon? That order has well-known Mint mark. May be we could define the place of production of such orders.

The biggest issue here is if the entire company did their own variations of colors for these cases, or if each artisan built the case individually, if it is mass produced this could have been a general thing that can effect all cases. It also depends if it was subcontracted to other firms certain steps in the process of manufacturing :) lots of variables can come into effect.

But what if that case is really dark brown.

Come on!

These are terrible photos, but not that terrible! :)

And the colour of the enamels on that order seems quite similar for mine. And what about the colour of ribbon? That order has well-known Mint mark. May be we could define the place of production of such orders.

Hard to judge about enamel colors by these photos.

And then this mint mark M.

Currently we don't have any proofs that it was used before 1929 either ;)

But cases with scrip similar to yours were used after 1929 (see my old thread about box inscriptions at Sammler)

Personally I think your order came from much earlier time period than marradeurs.

The biggest issue here is if the entire company did their own variations of colors for these cases,

Another problem - as far as I know manufacturers of orders (and Osaka mint!) always bought cases (and ribbons!) from private companies!

+

Actually looking at marauders set three years later I must say that case he showed came from [00s;early 20s] period of time and order from early 30s, so I was wrong when I stated that "this piece came straight from Meiji era" ;)

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...