News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Double Dragon 1st type, 2nd class, 3rd grade at eBay

JapanX

Dear all,

This is another interesting example of a 2nd type 3rd Class 1st grade ODD badge that has been mounted as a star instead of a neck badge. Worthy of note in that case are the following remarkable points :

• The badge is not large at all. It measures 75 x 75 mm, a rather reduced version of the more common 95 x 95 mm 3rd Class ODD that are frequently encountered. Weight and size cannot be construed as a good reason not to wear it around the neck in that case. The badge is smaller and lighter than many other neck badges issued by most countries in those days.
    • There is absolutely no trace of an earlier neck badge suspension feature. The reverse pin has been affixed by a professional jeweler. This is not a “do-it-yourself” kind of stuff. It really looks 100% original.
    • It looks very much like a Chinese-made badge, not a European one.

I am of the opinion that it became common practice over time to turn 2nd type - 3rd Class ODDs into breast star due to the reputation they carried with respect to weight and size. A smaller size star like this one could also have been bestowed upon a woman and we know for a fact that these badges were frequently smaller.

Still many things to uncover further down the ODD road…

Regards.

KimKan

Thanks for sharing this, Kimkan.

The smaller size is certainly fascinating as is the attractive, green centre stone. Have you encountered other similarly sized Third Class badges?

Reduced Second Class breast stars do occasionally appear. The theory that the smaller badges may have been bestowed on women is a valid one.

Dear all,

Most third class badges I have come across with were rather impressive pieces, not very heavy though but large (90 x 90 mm or close to that). I would say that smaller pieces like this one are quite unusual but do turn up every now and then. If I had to set a ratio, I would go for 10% of the cases, not more than that.

Regards.

KimKan