News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Imperial German Bar with Order of St. Avis

Hello Members of the Portugal Forum :)

Recently purchased this bar and it is on its way to me :D from a close forum friend of mine :D

The Order of St. Avis really attracted me to it, I know Portugal had a settlement in Togo and in neighboring Ghana but I would like to know more if possible about the Order of St. Avis. It looks like 1910 or later, but I would like to ask the experts for help :)(I have re-posted in it's former topic in Imperial German section but since I would like to know about this Order of St. Avis, I thought of posting here :)

2_col_bar_TOGO1894-95_2_NEW_zps46556ade.

2a_col_bar_TOGO1894-95_back_2_zps7c49bf1

Thank you for any help on this matter :D

Very interesting bar!! Aviz [Ordem Militar de Avis] appears to be Republican type--royal types had a Sacred Heart suspension device. The republic supposedly abolished all orders, except the Tower & Sword, in late 1910 but restablished some, including Avis, in 1917. Could be this one represents a swap out or 'republicianized' royal award?

Appears there may be marks on suspension ring. You may wish to check for maker or silver fineness indica. Perhaps manufactured by da Costa, Lisbon in 900 silver?

Knight class usually awarded to army captain & equivalent rank persons for Portugese recipients; foreigners may have been bumped up a grade or two for protocol reasons. This Order was/is almost exclusively reserved for military service.

And yes, for centuries up to today small Portugese communities exist in the Bight of Benin area.

Hello 922F

Thank you so much for the advice :) it helps me a lot in narrowing down a recipient. Would they also mark it somewhere if the piece was a replacement? Or there is no distinguishing feature for an additional hallmark.

So this piece would most likely have been either awarded before 1910 or after 1917?

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/54856-colonial-medal-clasp-good-or-bad/

more info. can be found there, but I believe it is original from the comments of more experiences bar owners and I believe the owner I got it from, he is very knowledgeable in these bars.

The Togo Clasp itself definatley is original, they had to purchase their own clasps and sometimes custom Jewellers made them.

Edited by Rogi

No special mark if replacement but apparently some recipients substituted republic type for monarchy type insignia/pieces. Also, certainly given before 1910 if monarchy and according to most sources, if republic, after 1917. Possibly substituted for Lion & Sun or Swede Vasa Order -- all green ribbons! .