News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi

I am looking for a book on the subject. I do know there is one by Zweng and one by Lehmann, I would like to know what kind of information they contain. Is it just the date of the award, or does it describe the circumstances as well? If so, I have a few kurhessian knights of the order whom I would like to know more about

regards

David

Hi David,

Perhaps "The Complete Blue Max: A Chronological Record of the holders of the Pour le Mérite, 1740-1918" by Kevin Brazier?

I read the one and only review on amazon.co.uk which states that the book deals mainly with airmen and no other branch, which is a little disappointing, though I believe some sort of a list of all recipients is attempted.

Another is "German Knights of the Air 1914-1918" by Treadwell and Wood.

This book deals solely with the airmen winners but I believe it gives biographical information as well as photos.

Are there any books with information on all Pour le Mérite holders of WW1?

Kind regards

Pierce

Are there any books with information on all Pour le Mérite holders of WW1?

Möller, Hans: Geschichte der Ritter des Ordens "pour le mèrite" im Weltkrieg, Berlin 1935 (two volumes)

The original books you find sometimes for about 400 Euro. A reprint for 196 Euro sells editio militaris. There you can also get for the same price the two Lehmann volumes with all plm holders before WW1. Möller and Lehmann gives biografical informations, but no portraits. May be, these books are still to be found in any library digitalized?

Regards, Komtur.

Edited by Komtur

Hi Daniel

thanks for that, do you know how the book is composed? I am looking specifically for individual accounts of mostly non-prussian decorees of the OPM. Is that in Hammelman, or does it 'just' give a global history and some statistics?

David

It is a listing of recipients, basic exploits, lots of Russians from the early 1800's. For the price its fine, not perfect. I used to have all three volumes of the book but sold them. For $30.00 is a good source. Their is a follow up volume from 1890's on. Volume 1 is not necessary and hard to find.