Order of the Star of Karađorđe with Brilliants

Not that long ago this Queen Marija's Order of the Star of Karađorđe was found in one of Tito's safes along with many other treasures that belonged to Karađorđević dynasty.

Order with brilliants was awarded twice before that - to the last Emperor of Russia Nicholas II and to the Ottoman Sultan Mehmed V.

These are the best images I found.

Edited by paja

I believe it was made by French producer Arthus-Bertrand.

Closeups.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-7937-0-59211700-1389814136.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-7937-0-14907100-1389814150.jpg

Edited by paja

Dragomir,

Thank you for the correction! I know that Sultan Mehmed's order was made by Bertrand so I assumed that this piece, although different, was the product of the same workshop. Could you maybe answer Paul's question regarding the dimensions?

These images were made by Dejan Ilić Unuče so all the credit goes to him.

I am not sure where is the order at this moment. I read in one article that it is returned to Karađorđevićs. But there was also information that it was just given for the ceremony when earthly remains of the Queen Marija were transferred from England to Serbia last year. Perhaps Dragomir can give us more information on this matter.

Edited by paja

Dragomir,

Thank you for the correction! I know that Sultan Mehmed's order was made by Bertrand so I assumed that this piece, although different, was the product of the same workshop. Could you maybe answer Paul's question regarding the dimensions?

These images were made by Dejan Ilić Unuče so all the credit goes to him.

I am not sure where is the order at this moment. I read in one article that it is returned to Karađorđevićs. But there was also information that it was just given for the ceremony when earthly remains of the Queen Marija were transferred from England to Serbia last year. Perhaps Dragomir can give us more information on this matter.

Paja and Paul,

I shall try to oblige!

1. Holders of the Grand Star with brilliants were, as far as I know, four: Queen Marie, Emperor Nicholas II of Russia, Sultan Mehmed V and his Crown Prince Mehmed Ziyaeddin. Two Turkish sets were made by Bertrand, and the set exhibited in Topkapi corresponds to the Bertrand workshop specifications, as illustrated by Guy Stair-Sainty; frakly, I do not know if Crown Prince's insignia still exists, because it is not exhibited, and is also missing in the famous Thames & Hudson volume about the Topkapi treasury (unless the illustrated star is in fact that one, but I would guess that it is exactly the same one as permanently exhibited). I do not know who produced Emperor's set, because it is missing in the collection of the Cremlin that two years ago was organized in Moscow.

2. I did not have the opportunity to measure Queen Marie's set (in fact I had the opportunity, but missed to do it!), but the star diameter is not less than 90 mm.

3. The set was lent for the purpose of laying in state and the funeral service, and immediately afterwards returned to National Bank to rejoin the other items (among them some other most interesting order insignia!) until the final decision of the Court regarding the provenience of the Tito's hoard and possible rights of inheritance.

4. Reverse of the star is most interesting because the complete central part is mounted a jour, without covering disc; the brilliance of the stones is therefore even more enhanced.

5. Photos of the set are published on the page 660 of me recent book "Slava i Cast" (Glory and Honour).

Best regards to all,

Dragomir

Dragomir,

Thank you very much on that!

I've heard very good things about "Slava i čast", still haven't had a chance to see it myself, but I'll make sure to get a copy of my own soon.

Best regards,

Radmilo

• 3 months later...