Greetings,

Meet Herr Heinrich PRETZEL, who seems to have had some interesting years :

CDV_Pretzel_zps99b91967.jpg

Photo was taken in Gross-Tychow (now "Tychowo"), not so far from Danzig/Gdansk.

Any chance to identify his other awards / decypher the comments / find out more about his service ?

CDV_Pretzel2_zps17730b67.jpg

Cheers !
Jerome

The photograph must have been taken after 1863 as he is wearing his Iron Cross, the 1863 commemorative War Merit Medal and the 1813-15 War merit Medal, the last is suspect is a veterans award, now you have to find a group to go with the photo.

Paul

Thanks gents for the comments, the explanations on the medals, and checking the name ! :)

MMh, so there seems to be some mystery here ?

Well sometimes names found on CDVs are dedications rather than signatures ; doesn't really look to be the case here, but that could be a lead...

Cheers !

Jerome

Another possibility is that he enlisted under an alias (it frequently happened, due to debts, in trouble with the law or got a girl into trouble). certainly was the case with the British during the Peninsular war.

Paul

• 1 month later...

I am wondering what I'm looking at in the blue boxes.

Is this just scratches in the photo? Or could it be some detail

actually on the cross. It almost looks like writing of some sort

but that's impossible to know.

I am wondering what I'm looking at in the blue boxes.

Is this just scratches in the photo? Or could it be some detail

actually on the cross. It almost looks like writing of some sort

but that's impossible to know.

Hi Greg,

the same question I was asking myself - in my opinion it is probably a Verteranen badge (or similar).
But still a very beautiful photograph of a participant of the liberation war in 1813.
;) Best regards,
Jens
  • 4 months later...

Hi gents,

sorry I cannot get anything more detailed for the Cross ; but a badge looks possible indeed.

Thomas,

Thanks for this photo - very nice !

And... introducing another old Vet'..

Photo re-cut to fit in a 1860s album ; no photographer's détails whatsoever.

I love the colouring !

Salutations,

Jérôme

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gents,

sorry I cannot get anything more detailed for the Cross ; but a badge looks possible indeed.

Thomas,

Thanks for this photo - very nice !

I love the colouring !

Salutations,

Jérôme

And with a Russian St. George Cross also!

A very interesting photo.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the colouring !

Forget about the EK2 and St. George cross... is he wearing an Austrian bravery medal in the third place... ?

:speechless1: :speechless1: :speechless1:

I have literally never seen one of these in wear... probably our Austria collerctors would love to see that picture posted in their forum...

:whistle:

Edited by saschaw
  • 3 years later...
On 8/10/2014 at 12:13, saschaw said:

Forget about the EK2 and St. George cross... is he wearing an Austrian bravery medal in the third place... ?

:speechless1: :speechless1: :speechless1:

I have literally never seen one of these in wear... probably our Austria collerctors would love to see that picture posted in their forum...

:whistle:

Incredible photo. I have never seen a photo of a Napoleonic veteran with that many different decorations. Outstanding.