News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ethopian Victory Medal, 1941

Obergefreiter

Gentlemen,

I belie that are up to five different versions:

• Military - Silver
    • Military - Cupro nickel or similar - at least two different strikes
    • Military - 1/3 size (possibly a very large miniature but disproportionate in comparison with normal Ethiopian minaitures)
    • Civil - 2/3 size

Known makers are Mappin & Webb of London and Sevadjian of Addis Ababa.

Regards,

Owain

• 4 years later...

Dave,

Do you have any evidence of a formal attribution of the smaller cross  to 'auxiliary and medical personnel?

I detail below the decree and no mention is made is such an entitlement?

Kind regards,

Owain

“Decree No.14 of 1952

Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah

Haile Selassie I

Elect of God, Emperor of Ethiopia

In accordance to Article 15 of Our Constitution We decree as follows:-

Article 6 of Decree No.10, 19th February, 1952 regarding Regulations Governing Medals is repealed and replaced as follows:

6. The Medal of Dil-Kokeb is made of white metal in the shape of a cross pate. The cross is 46mm in length and 44 mm across. On the obverse side at the centre there is a star.

At each end of the star the words “Dil-Kokeb1933, for Unforgettable Service” are inscribed. On the reverse side of the medal shall be inscribed the words “Star of Victory, 1941”. Above the inscription shall be a crown. The riband shall be green, yellow and red to be lined vertically in six linings. This medal is instituted by H.I. Majesty Haile Selassie I in 1941.

This medal is awardable to combatants who have rendered distinguished military service to the Emperor during the War of 1941.

Done at Addis Ababa, this 28th day of June, 1952.

Owain

Sorry, I am afraid I do not. If I have it wrong please all accept my apologies. The wonderful website "Royal Ark" has it listed like this and all the other examples similar to this I have seen have been labelled in a likewise manner e.g. domestic engagement. I had no reason to doubt their description and as the ribbons are so close it seemed very plausible.

Dave

• 2 months later...

There is a reference to a “ womens’ size” victory medal. Ive always wondered about that but tantalizingly, about a decade ago a group of an Ethiopian nurse complete with high end orders was sold on eBay from Sweden and it included the smaller version. 

But these ladies pictured in 1970, clearly got the bigger version.

BF3A5DEF-7B12-4464-983C-5FE65E15E25B.jpeg

Edited by Ulsterman

• 3 weeks later...
    • 4 months later...

I love this discussion.  Thanks so much.

Yes, Mappin and Webb made the silver ones.  The only connection is made when you have the ribbon and wearing pin which is stamped by Mappin and Webb.  Court jeweler Bedros Sevadjian made the nickel version of the medal.  If it is in two strikings, I'd love to see close up photos of both side by side so we can see any differences highlighted.

There is one other version that exists that I don't see here.  It's 2/3rds size, and unlike the "small" (not miniature) one shown here by Owain, it is two sided, an exact smaller version of the original, stating Victory 1941 on the back.

I don't have it but do seek it.

The Victory medal appears to be the first Ethiopian medal to have English on it as well as our calendar date rather than the Ethiopian Era date, both probably a tribute to Britain which finally woke up and actively supported a free and independent Ethiopia in 1941 when it should have done so when the invasion occurred in 1935.

There is a similar 2/3rds size version of the Korean War medal, also two sided, that I also seek.  That's the other medal that has the Julian calendar date rather than Ethiopian Era.

I was pleased to provide Owain with many of the decrees he quotes from.

Here's the 2/3rds size version of the Korean War medal honoring those members of his Imperial Guard that he sent to fight for "collective security".  The world didn't come help defend him and Ethiopia in 1935, and as I picture it, he was anxious to lead by example when the Korean conflict arose.  The Ethiopians were a remarkable fighting force, reportedly the only group fighting on either side of the conflict not to lose any wounded or dead to the enemy.  Though far from home, they were said to "own the night" and General S.L.A. Marshall wrote in Pork Chop Hill about them in a remarkable chapter worth reading.  During daytime, he witnessed a number of them jump out of their trenches, run across a wide "no mans land" and dive head first into the enemy trench.  Shortly later, a larger number returned.  When brought before the general staff, they remarked that as they were frequently used for getting prisoners for interrogation and they hadn't gotten any lately, they thought it was their duty to do so.

Brave souls.

Thanks,

Jim Marshall

Korean War medals, Ethiopia full size and 2.3rds.jpg

• 2 years later...