News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Cross of Takovo with Swords

I am not completely sure where I got these images from but I think that they are from ebay.

I believe someone took regular Order of the Cross of Takovo 4th class (looks like the product of Vincent Mayer’s Söhne to me) and then attached very poor quality swords on it.

Notice how crude and with unclear details are those swords. I also think that they are smaller in size.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-7937-0-00145400-1389977724.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_01_2014/post-7937-0-21219300-1389977735.jpg

Edited by paja

Back side is even worse! Notice how the both sides, front and back, are the same. That is not the case with original pieces, back side of the swords is as far as I know either flat or engraved.

It should be pristine on the back side, to my knowledge the sword didn't have a chance of failing, it was well put together.

Definatley looks like a re-tool or addition to the order. The order itself looks horrible in that light, I'm not convinced on the crown too, it has a very harsh appearance :S

Edited by Rogi

Rogi,

Thanks for your respond, I just want to make this clear for some of the forum members which are maybe not that familiar with the whole story behind the order with swords.

Considering that the cross with swords for war merits was instituted in 1883, after the Wars for Liberation and Independence, those who received it during the war were suppose to deliver their orders (without swords) to the Chancery of the Royal Orders. Chancery would then return the decorations to recipients after the swords were applied. Some of the recipients did not do so but ordered completely new decorations instead.

So swords were really added later on a certain amount of orders, but this was done professionally by some of the workshops which were involved in the production of the Serbian orders.

This is obviously not the case with the piece from above...

Edited by paja