News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice early Navy photo ID Mexican, WW1, and WW2 group

Very Nice near complete medal group to RM2c Harold Carlton Lord (11 Feb 1895 to 2 Jul 1972). Naval Service appears to be (1913-1919 possible break in 1917, and 1942-1945). He appears to be one of the US Naval Landing Party in Vera Cruz, Mexico in 1914. I got this group from a collector in Wyoming - he said it came from a flea market in eastern Pennsylvania. Although their is no Navy Good Conduct (which is very common) the two Navy photo Identification badges are a real plus (photo ID'd groups are very hard to find, especially this early). The pilot badge may have something to do with him being a river pilot. I have just started the research, I know that he volunteered to serve in WW2 (with a V6 USNR appointment, he appears to have been servicing the Reserve (as indicated by the early Naval Reserve Medal (10 year service medal). He was a Radioman Petty Officer 2nd Class (E-5) on the USS Skirmish AM-303 a Minesweeper (not the best duty - very dangerous work - with little recognition. Since the only missing medals are the Naval Reserve, and 3 WW2 unnamed medals, I will fill out the group.

Yes, the St. Louis Record Center is part of NARA. I would suggest using a professional researcher at St. Louis. You pay a bit extra but rather then wait 6 months for a file you usually get it in a few week. I use Geoff at Golden Arrow Research.

George, I specifically refer to the initial allied intervention in 1861 following the Mexican default on foreign loans, the following is taken from a talk I gave last year on the Interventions and the Empire of Maximilian