News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris,

I think this was the style of the period and that army issue was based (as often happens) on civilian wear. When it came to underwear, men in the field could wear privately purchased pieces if they wanted. The issue stuff had to be washed now and then. In the field, as you know, you can never have enough clean socks and underwear. :)

Chris

private purchase many of these items were sent to the soldiers, I've a period sweater with the same style tag.

Chip

Regarding socks you know of wrapping the feet in linen squares? were they offical issue at anytime during the war?

Eric

Fusslappen were issued starting in 1916, but were not popular, as it took practice to fold the 40cm x 40cm square properly so that the creases did not irritate the foot. According to Kraus they were woolen squares.

Chip