Non-governmental Awards for First Sino-Japanese War

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

another one, reads merit conquer china commemorative tochigi prefecture the old kanji for china is used I believe this dates it to the 1894/5 war (thanks rich catalano for translation) its hallmarked on the edge ,push button latch

#53 - NGO 1894-5 War Medal (designed by Suzuki Umakichi)

#54 - 1894-95 Conquering of China Medal

#55 - Saitama Veterans' Group 1894-95 War Medal (designed by Suzuki Umakichi)

#56 - 1894-95 Commemorative Medal

Exellent medal! :cheers:

A Victorious Return Commemorative Medal

As I understand this is the upper line of reverse inscription.

But what is the translation of other four lines ... I wonder :whistle:

P.S. The case stamped with address of Suzuki workshop in Tokyo :)

As I understand this is the upper line of reverse inscription.

But what is the translation of other four lines ... I wonder :whistle:

I do not know if the reverse has four extra horizontal lines of text or six vertical. (The top line, of course, is read horizontally.)

I cannot understand the extra phrases at all. However, if read horizontally, the lowest line has the same kanji (kou 功 'merit') written twice, which seems unlikely.

Edited by fukuoka

I think - this is wényán (in the Japanese interpretation :wacky:).

我武惟揚

侵于之疆

我伐用張

于湯有光

克完厥

振旅奏功

http://ctext.org/shang-shu/great-declaration-ii

我武維揚,侵于之疆,取彼凶殘。我伐用張,于湯有光 = My military prowess is displayed, and I enter his territories to take the wicked tyrant. My punishment (of evil) will be great, and more glorious than that executed by Tang.

http://ctext.org/pre-qin-and-han?searchu=%E4%BC%90%E7%94%A8%E5%BC%B5%E4%BA%8E%E6%B9%AF%E6%9C%89%E5%85%89

我武惟揚侵于之疆則取于殘伐用張于湯有光 = My power shall be put forth, and, invading the territories of Shang, I will seize the oppressor. I will put him to death to punish him - so shall the greatness of my work appear, more glorious than that of Tang.

• 2 years later...

took a while but wanted to find one that was military related with a case "dai Nippon celebration of victorious return commemorative. banzai to army and navy", Suzuki manufacture.i was surprised how small these medals are and so well made thanks to rich catalano for translation

IMG_4262 (2).JPG

IMG_4263 (2).JPG