Badge medal and cross

I have not heard of this Veterans group - I know several were in existance. The Crown is from Queen Victoria (1837-1901)

The Royal Irish Rifles had a long history - mainly from the amalgamation of other, smaller Regts.. They were disbanded in

1922 when Ireland was formed. I have one of their drums - painted for George 5th. Coronation in 1910. Mervyn

From what I have been able to find out the imperial Army and Navy Veterans seemed to be active especially in Australia and Canada in the late 19th century. They were certainly still in existence in the early 1920's but probably like many such organisations they ended up being absorbed in the Australian and Canadian equivalents of the British Legion soon after .

Paul

Donald C. Ward was entitled only British War Medal and Victory Medal. That mean he entered into the Theatre of War after December 1915. Later on he was transferred into the Labour Corps (service number 587616). This number block was transferred around May to September 1918 in Salonika, so you know where he fought. I can't confirm it at the moment but I think he was in the 5th (Service) Battalion (Pioneers).

Regards,

Timo

Hi all,

thank you very much for the informations.

I think the cross is exactly that one shown in the photo from Ulsterman. Maybe someone has another veterans cross for comparison?

@ Noor, thank you for the information about Donald C. Ward. :)

Maybe someone know from which time the cap badge is?

Best wishes

Chris

They shouldn't be, but even some collectors [of medals] undervalue the 'other stuff' - badges, 'non-issue' awards and especially paper work, and a lot of it gets separated and/or thrown out over the years. :banger: Even the silver 'Services Rendered' badges are nowhere near as common on the market as one would expect, given that they went to anyone who was invalided out with sickness or wounds, and I suspect a lot were melted down for the silver because there is no name on them. :angry: Distressing!