News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

First Pattern Coast Guard Commendation Medal with Citation- Beyond Rare

Paul R

I just acquired this rare beauty. It is a type one Coast Guard Commendation Medal that was in use from 1947 until 1968. As these had to be approved by the service Commandant, they are much more difficult to earn than the Commendation Medals of other branches of service. The style of the CG Commendation Medal was completely changed after it shifted from the Treasure Dept in 1967, to the Dept of Transportation. It is a real shame because I like this style much better.

After a quick search on line, much information was found on Capt Ayers and the operation he completed to earn this very medal.

I was able to find a photo for sale on line with him receiving this very citationed award. When it comes in, I will post an image of it versus the Ebay marked photo below.

I have one of those(Humanitarian Service Medal). It is one of those where I like the reverse better than the obverse. I considered removing the pendent and reversing it.

Thanks Lukasz! I know where there is another if you are interested. It is the rare second variation too!