Soviet Ushanka Hat Device

ocpd71

I recently bought a Soviet "Ushanka" style hat in the blue/gray "fish fur' material. The markings inside the hat appear to indicate the hat is dated 1990. The device the hat came with is a red and gold enameled hammer and sickle in a red star surrounded by a gold wreath. I have no idea if the device is original or not. From pictures I have seen of Soviet soldiers from the late 80's, they seem to be wearing the same hat device, or else a similar device of just the red star without the surrounding wreath. I would like to have the hat in a period correct configuration, but Im confused by the different hat devices. Any input is well appreciated.

Everything sounds ok.

Since 1971 according to Minister of Defense order # 29 from February 16, 1971 this "red and gold enameled hammer and sickle in a red star surrounded by a gold wreath" became official insignia on full dress uniform (парадно-выходная форма) including ushanka's.

Direct quote from original order with description of ushanka.

"Шапка-ушанка состоит из окола, колпака и тульи. Окол меховсй состоит из козырька, назатыльника с наушниками и тесьмой для их завязывания; изготовляется для личного состава взводов Сухопутных войск и Военно-воздушных сил из серого каракуля, а для взвода Военно-Морского Флота из черного каракуля. Колпак, козырёк и назатыльник подлицевые из сукна: для личного состава взвода Сухопутных войск стального цвета, взвода Военно-воздушных сил тёмно-синего цвета, для старшин и матросов взвода Военно-Морского Флота черного цвета, для офицеров взвода Военно-Морского Флота из кожи черного цвета. Тулья состоит из дольника и кружка, стеганных на вате с подкладкой. В центре козырька: кокарда с эмблемой для офицеров взводов Сухопутных войск и Военно-воздушных сил, эмблема для офицеров взвода Военно-Морского Флота, пятиконечная звезда с эмблемой для сержантов, солдат, старшин и матросов."

Next (and last) regulation in 1988 left this insignia unchanged.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX